Feature Suggestions with voting system

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

[-hh]
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Feature Suggestions with voting system

Post by [-hh] » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:27 am

Last edited by [-hh] on Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shiftLock happens

edgore

Post by edgore » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:28 pm

Don't forget that moving to open source did more than just make the free community version available, it also opened up the source code to modification by anyone skilled enough to do so. You no longer have to convince RunRev to add a feature, you can convince *anyone* to and if it works well you can bet that RunRev will fold it into the main branch of the code - for them it's free functionality, and it can continue to be improved on by future developers.

This will improve even more in the fall when the refactored engine becomes available. So, I figure I don't need to convince RunRevMark to add a feature, I just need to convince malte, monte, mwieder, or a host of other possibilities (though, apparently only people with "m" names), some of whom may also want a the feature I want. In fact, I think there is the possibility of smaller developers doing their own kickstarters to add specific features to the engine, or as a library - sort of like the bounties Richard mentioned. I would gladly kick in $20 to kickstarter from someone respected in the community to add sFTP (and I would kick in $100 towards LDAP support...)

SteveTX

Post by SteveTX » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:19 pm

That featureStarter idea is great, and the virtual coins accounting for contributions is excellent. You've got my vote. Also, the VCs should probably expire after a certain amount of time after issuance/return (18 months?) to account for momentum and RR's financial overhead.

Return to “Feature Requests”