automatically include widgets in standalones

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller

automatically include widgets in standalones

Postby mattmaier » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:43 pm

Feature request: Livecode should just include all the widgets I put in the script or stack automatically. If that's not possible it should give me a warning that something in the script/stack isn't going to be included in the standalone.

Background
I've found a half-dozen places where someone says that widgets are a thing you can use and/or how to use them. I have a vague memory of someone saying that you have to ALSO go into the standalone application settings and select the widget you want to include in your standalone. So I poked around in there until the widget I dragged onto the card actually appeared in the standalone I generated.

Livecode is supposed to be beginner/starting friendly. Don't make me figure out how to use the thing I clearly just used by finding a buried menu setting through trial and error.

In a general sense I don't understand why I have to tell Livecode to use the widget twice. If I put it on the card I want to use it. End of settings. But I have to not only find the widget I want, and use it the way I want, I also have to make a note of its exact name, and then I have to do that for every different widget I use, and then I have to go track down a list of them and make sure the ones I've already told Livecode to use are highlighted. There isn't even an error warning me that I've got widgets on the card that aren't selected in the standalone settings. That's a whole string of failure.
mattmaier

Re: automatically include widgets in standalones

Postby Simon » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:25 pm

HI mattmaier,
I think you should put this request in http://quality.runrev.com/ as a feature request.
The engineers will definitely see it then.

other;
It's still early days for LC8, many things they have to sort out.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!
Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Postby jayden.sim » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:22 am

this happened to me too!
SVG WIDGET dissapeard
jayden.sim

Postby Graeme Smith » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:18 am

I agree goodness this is hard. I have used Header and Navigator widgets, works perfectly with IOS but absent in Android. To make matters worse when I go to copy files in Standalone Application Settings I don't get a list of files to add. So where do look for the files? This could take me an hour or a week to resolve.
Graeme Smith

Postby jacque » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:20 pm

There is an Inclusions pane in the standalone settings which lists all libraries, widgets, and other extras. You can choose the ones you want from there.

There is also a checkbox in the General pane that will search for inclusions automatically but I have heard it sometimes doesn't find everything. It's worth a try though.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com
jacque

Return to Feature Requests