Fields not correctly sized in iPhone Retina Simulator

This is the place to discuss anything relating to MobGUI

Moderators: heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller, malte, splash21

gcbrackett

Fields not correctly sized in iPhone Retina Simulator

Post by gcbrackett » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:54 pm

I'm writing to ask if anyone else has this problem (to see if it's MY problem, not MobGUI's). In the IDE, using MobGUI's control panel to switch from iPhone normal resolution to iPhone Retina resolution works fine: everything is doubled, including the sizes and textSizes of fields on buttons and other controls. This is also true switching from iPad to iPhone Retina. However:

a) If I save the stack with every card sized for iPhone regular and then run it in a Retina-resolution simulator, all of the text fields show iPhone regular-sized text.
b) If I save the stack with every card sized for iPhone Retina and then run it in a regular-resolution simulator, all of the text fields show Retina-sized text.

I don't have an iPhone 4 to test this behavior. Does anyone else see it?
George C Brackett
Principal, George Brackett Associates
http://luceatlux.com

andyh1234

Re: Fields not correctly sized in iPhone Retina Simulator

Post by andyh1234 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:34 am

Yes, Im seeing something similar.

If I have the app as iPhone standard, and try the simulator set to iPhone standard, then everything works, but if I then change it to Retina the standard interface scaled up by the simulator is shown, not the pin sharp retina one.

If I have the app in LC as iPhone Retina then all the fonts are doubled in the simulator so they look huge, and again they look like they are being scaled, as if the fact im using the retina simulator is not being picked up.

cenglish

Post by cenglish » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:06 pm

I'm having a similar situation when it comes to using MobGui with the ios Simulator. When running the app in Livecode, everything seems fine. I can switch back and forth and most everything resizes correctly except for regular text fields that aren't from MobGui. However, when I go to run my app in the simulator, no iPhone version resizes correctly. ios Simulator makes it look like everything is blown up. Whether I'm running it for the iPhone Retina or Standard display. Running my iPad app works fine and smoothly in the simulator, but anything with the iPhone seems to mess up. I am running Livecode 4.6.4, with ios Simulator version 4.3 (238.2). Any ideas as to why these don't run in the correct size formats?

splash21
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by splash21 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:03 am

So far, I've found that the simulator will not run with retina dimensions - always uses 320x480 for iPhone. Running on the device, my retina tests look OK, but on the simulator, the non retina dimensions make everything look strange.
LiveCode Development & Training : http://splash21.com

gcbrackett

Post by gcbrackett » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:17 pm

1. Do you mean that controls etc. are properly sized on an iPhone 3GS or 4? I have neither device and have had to depend on what the simulator shows.
2. Attached is what my simulator shows for Retina and Standard displays. Is this what you're seeing?

This issue has kept me from submitting my app StudioVisitPro to Apple.

George
untitled2.jpg
Display on iPhone Standard Simulator
untitled.jpg
Display on iPhone Retina Simulator, iOS 4.3, XCode 3.2.6
George C Brackett
Principal, George Brackett Associates
http://luceatlux.com

Return to “MobGUI”