My advice to Livecode

This is the place to discuss anything relating to MobGUI

Moderators: heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller, malte, splash21

grandlorie

My advice to Livecode

Post by grandlorie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:44 am

My advice to Livecode

If you are using MobGUI to market Livecode (i know Livecode can do other things) then you should buy this plug-in from the developer and include it in every version you have ....
This way, The customers who wanna use livecode to develop IOS (android) apps they can develop their apps with real objects (anyway they can not publish to app store or android market without buying the commercial version of Livecode), and also they can have better service than what they have now !!! (look at the number of questions and answers in this forum and you know what i am talking about).

Anyway Livecode price is not that cheap, so including this little thing won't harm that much ..

I think Livecode is very promising software, but they should start to think different ...

Kind Regards

Klaus

Re: My advice to Livecode

Post by Klaus » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:35 pm

Hi grandlorie,

since the folks from RunRev do not read here on a regular base, you should write this to: support@runrev.com

Best

Klaus

grandlorie

Post by grandlorie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi Klaus

You said" the folks from RunRev do not read here "
Do you mean in this particular MobGUI section? or in this forum in general?

because it is getting very confusing now ...
When you wanna buy MobGUI the link does take you to Livecode main website... !!
and when you wanna join the forum the link from within the Livecode site takes you in here !!!

Plus: the title on the top of this page say: Runrev Livecode Forums .... am i right?

Even if you mean this MobGUI section .... if RunRev has this forums for Livecode, if they put a section to other products, they should support it ... otherwise i would expect the developer of MobGUI has his own MobGUI forum ... of course .... unless if the RunRev owns MobGUI ??????

Dixie
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Dixie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:23 pm

The 'folks' from runrev pay attention to the developer mailing list... runrev don't own mobGUI... mobGUI is a 3rd party product that is sold on the runrev website... as Klaus said, the best thing you can do is contact support with your questions...

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:28 pm

MobGUI does a good job of emulating some aspects of the iOS UI, but iOS 7 is a good reason for RunRev to continue on the path they're on toward native controls.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Mag

Post by Mag » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:11 pm

grandlorie wrote:My advice to Livecode

If you are using MobGUI to market Livecode (i know Livecode can do other things) then you should buy this plug-in from the developer and include it in every version you have ....
This way, The customers who wanna use livecode to develop IOS (android) apps they can develop their apps with real objects (anyway they can not publish to app store or android market without buying the commercial version of Livecode), and also they can have better service than what they have now !!! (look at the number of questions and answers in this forum and you know what i am talking about).

Anyway Livecode price is not that cheap, so including this little thing won't harm that much ..

I think Livecode is very promising software, but they should start to think different ...

Kind Regards
I agree on certain aspects.

In my opinion, the company should not support nor sell any plug-in that is used to implement native functionality of the operating systems. These features have to be implemented natively and maybe it is not fair that the externals that implement them are traded by the company.

grandlorie

Post by grandlorie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:39 am

I like Livecode, in fact my son love it

But he always jumps to Xcode to do a real thing... when we tried to get MobGUI to work, with over 20 years experience in computer i could not figure out what is wrong with it even with search here and there, developer site is blank in info ... examples on Livecode shows you how to use it, they sell it, the download file is available to public and not even one sign to tell you it will not work with Community version of Livecode.

Here in the UK they said ... there are a lot of signs on the road you ll never understand because it is only understandable by whoever did it. ..i do not know how much true is that, but the point here is: do not put something in your site and think that everyone will understand what is behind it, it is the first concept we learn when we start to programme ..

The problem i found her with Livecode, it should have a lot of things which you have to buy separate and struggle with its support.
MobGUI it is one of them. even after the new IOS 7 release form apple..

But, again these are small issues and still like Livecode because my son like it..

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:40 pm

LiveCode <> MobGUI

MobGUI is one way to solution for a certain set of needs, but is not representative of the full scope of what LiveCode does. And while RunRev is a reseller they're not the developer, and have no control over the presentation of materials on the developer's site.
Richard Gaskin

shaosean

Post by shaosean » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:44 am

While they are not the developer of it, it still seems pretty wrong of them to be selling it when there are issues with it and a lack of developer contact (who knows, maybe he talks to them every day).. I think it would be wise to remove it from their store until issues are rectified.. Of course, if the issues are user issues and RTM would fix it, then leave it be..

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:15 am

shaosean wrote:While they are not the developer of it, it still seems pretty wrong of them to be selling it when there are issues with it and a lack of developer contact (who knows, maybe he talks to them every day).. I think it would be wise to remove it from their store until issues are rectified.. Of course, if the issues are user issues and RTM would fix it, then leave it be..
Some here claim the developer is very responsive to customer requests. I haven't used MobGUI myself so I don't have an opinion either way, but if he's answering emails sent to the address noted at his site I'm not sure what the folks at RunRev should be doing.
Richard Gaskin

shaosean

Post by shaosean » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:19 am

and there are others that claim zero response from the developer.. my only suggestion is if the product is having issues with the current IDE then Rev should look at removing it from their site until the (Rev and/or the MobGUI) issues are rectified..

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:15 pm

Mag wrote:
grandlorie wrote:My advice to Livecode
In my opinion, the company should not support nor sell any plug-in that is used to implement native functionality of the operating systems. These features have to be implemented natively and maybe it is not fair that the externals that implement them are traded by the company.
The sole reason for the existent of mobGUI is 'because' runRev have not addressed the problem of 'out of date 'buttons, fields... etc' that are available from the tools pallete... the problem is also now magnified with the lack of externals for iOS and android to accomplish various system tasks... again, this hole has been filled to a certain extent by mergExt... mobGUI might be nearing the end of its life ( if runRev add native looking controls ) but it certainly did its job for a lot longer period of time than the developer thought it would have to do...

Th euphoria of liveCode going 'open source' has been and gone... it seems that there is more interest in how the engine can be changed for the benefit of the 'few', instead of improving the basic foundations and making the language and its tools more easily accessible to 'many'...

Janschenkel

Post by Janschenkel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:25 pm

Dixie wrote:Th euphoria of liveCode going 'open source' has been and gone... it seems that there is more interest in how the engine can be changed for the benefit of the 'few', instead of improving the basic foundations and making the language and its tools more easily accessible to 'many'...
I would say quite the opposite is happening: there's now a group of people outside RunRev who are contributing enhancements in parallel to what the RunRev crew is developing. Some are fixing their pet bugs or improving performance, work is being done on the 64-bit and externals front, and others are pushing in new features. All in the open, all to the benefit of the community as a whole.
Meanwhile the RunRev team is working on the refactoring and new features that we all chipped in for through the Kickstarter campaign. The LiveCode platform we will have a year from now is going to be much stronger than the LiveCode we know today. And these things take time to get them 'right' - so enjoy the ride and give feedback whenever you can to make sure we don't take our eyes off the ball.

Jan Schenkel.
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

Return to “MobGUI”