What tablet to use?

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

ErwinVJ

What tablet to use?

Post by ErwinVJ » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:57 am

Hi all,

I'm new to programming, new to tablets and new to LiveCode ... maybe a little too many 'news' for what I'm planning to do but I love the challenge :-)

Basically I want to develop an app that enables me to have students enroll in my dance classes by filling in a form on a tablet, scribble their signature on the tablet and have their pic taken by the tablet's camera. The address data would then be synced with my MacBook Pro's addressbook and the course data would be synced with a crm application (to be decided). So my setup is basically Apple but I'm open to iOS or Android as long as the sync will behave predictably.
Not sure what sync approaches would be ok: docking to the laptop, 3g via online server or WiFi direct connection with my laptop (which is available at the dance location). Suggestions are welcome.

My main question is "What tablet should I get for this purpose?". Not sure if considering screen size (for typing/signing), camera and 3g/wifi availability are the only features to consider. Is processing power a significant player to consider? How about the memory/storage for having my 400 people database locally on the tablet?

thanks! Erwin

ErwinVJ

Re: What tablet to use?

Post by ErwinVJ » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:10 pm

BTW, please don't use this tread to fight a tablet-war ... don't care about overall winners, just need a good tablet to support my needs (at reasonable price) 8)

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: What tablet to use?

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:51 pm

As a developer, I picked the tablets most likely to represent the ones used by my customers. For iOS there's only one so it was an easy choice, iPad 2. For Android, the best-selling tablet has also proved an enjoyable companion for me, the Asus Transformer.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Android Deployment”