Android SDK development root

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

marksmithhfx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Android SDK development root

Post by marksmithhfx » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:55 am

Hi, can someone suggest a starting point for entering the the Android SDK develpemt root in the LC preferences pane. I did the SDK install but don't recall having to make any decisions as to where things get put so at this point I am a complete loss as to where they are. Is there a specific file or something I can hunt for?

Thanks

-- Mark
macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey), Xcode 14.2, LC 10.0.0, iOS 15.6.1
Targets: Mac, iOS

marksmithhfx

Re: Android SDK development root - Part 2

Post by marksmithhfx » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:05 am

Some of the following might be of some help:

The original dload files are in /applications/android-sdk-mac_x86
Inside that folder is /tools/android, which if run executes the Android SDK and AVD Manager
The Manager says I have 2 virtual devices installed at /users/mark/.android/avd

So, exactly what is it that Livecode wants me to point to? (at this point I'm surprised I ever got the iOS sdk installed... but I don't recall that being hard at all).

Thanks

-- Mark

Cube

Re: Android SDK development root

Post by Cube » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:07 pm

Greetings All,
I'm having the Android SDK Root recognition and Standalone issues also, using Windows XP SP3, etc., Java JDK1.6.0_26 is installed correctly, Android SDK installed, and I have installed everything available in the downloads for the SDK so I know correct version is there and everythig shows up on the installed packages list in the SDK and AVD Manager, and I know the path to the SDK folders, but RR dose not acknowledge it as a valid SDK when I try to set up in "mobile support". I did try every folder level also. I did re-install Java, still doesn't work. I can create AVD's and run them, but when I try to do a standalone on simple single two control stack, it tells me "...could not compile class". I am using the personal license for Android. I did re-install RR, re-license, etc. I would also appreciate tips if anyone has any ideas at this point. I did install the Android SDK directly on my C drive also (to avoid the spaces in the path for signing purposes). I have succeeded in creating a (signature) key and know exactly where it is. I have been following all available instructions and suggestions and still no luck. I understand the JDK path will show on the preferences form once I get RR to recognize the Android SDK. Any assistance will be appreciated.

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:31 am

Cube wrote:Greetings All,
I'm having the Android SDK Root recognition and Standalone issues also, using Windows XP SP3, etc., Java JDK1.6.0_26 is installed correctly, Android SDK installed, and I have installed everything available in the downloads for the SDK so I know correct version is there and everythig shows up on the installed packages list in the SDK and AVD Manager, and I know the path to the SDK folders, but RR dose not acknowledge it as a valid SDK when I try to set up in "mobile support". I did try every folder level also. I did re-install Java, still doesn't work. I can create AVD's and run them, but when I try to do a standalone on simple single two control stack, it tells me "...could not compile class". I am using the personal license for Android. I did re-install RR, re-license, etc. I would also appreciate tips if anyone has any ideas at this point. I did install the Android SDK directly on my C drive also (to avoid the spaces in the path for signing purposes). I have succeeded in creating a (signature) key and know exactly where it is. I have been following all available instructions and suggestions and still no luck. I understand the JDK path will show on the preferences form once I get RR to recognize the Android SDK. Any assistance will be appreciated.
I have asked support if they can tell me what they are checking for when they issue the error message in preferences/mobile support so I can try to independently verify what is going on. Like you I have a pretty clear idea of where everything is, and I can also run AVD's. If we can find out what is causing the error, that might give us a clue. I'll let you know what I find out.

- Mark

ctflatt

Post by ctflatt » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:18 pm

I'm having the same issue.

I am running Windows 7 via VMWare Fusion, and have successfully installed the Android SDK (installer_r12-windows.exe) and Java SDK.

The Android SDK Manager runs fine, and have installed support for Android 2.2 (Froyo), as mentioned.

Still receiving invalid Android SDK messages... totally bummed.

What can I do?

Screenshots provided.
Screen shot 2011-08-04 at 8.09.09 AM.png
LC Invalid Android SDK Message
Screen shot 2011-08-04 at 8.09.50 AM.png
Directory Listing of Installed Software
Screen shot 2011-08-04 at 8.09.50 AM.png (12.18 KiB) Viewed 16760 times
Thanks!

Todd

Cube

Post by Cube » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:28 pm

Greetings,

I must say, Technical Support for RunRev / Livecode is stellar! The following information was sent to me (I also had a request in) and it does solve the problem with not finding the Android SDK through the Mobile preferences. I hope it's OK to copy here.

1) Open up the folder where you have installed the android SDK
2) In there should be a sub folder named platforms and a sub folder named
platform-tools. Within the platforms folder should be a folder named android-8.
Create a new folder in the android-8 folder and name it "tools".
3) Copy the contents of the platform-tools folder (located at the base of the sdk,
next to the platforms folder) into the newly created tools folder.

I now have the Mobile support working.

ctflatt

Post by ctflatt » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:25 pm

Cube:

Thanks! That worked for me, as well!

:Todd

jens.greiner

Post by jens.greiner » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:55 pm

Hi,

configuration worked for me now, thanks Cube!

But I still get an error message if I try to use the Android emulator for testing. (Screenshot below)
runrev_android_test.jpg
Screenshot
Message: "Unable to build app for testing: could not encode class bundle" :shock:

Any idea?

Thanks!

Jens

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:37 am

ctflatt wrote:Cube:

Thanks! That worked for me, as well!

Suddenly Barry's plea to put your setup in your signature makes a lot of sense. the tech support solution has not worked for me. I am running Mac OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) and LC 4.6.3

Best,

-- Mark

ctflatt

Post by ctflatt » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:43 am

Jens: since LC 4.6.2, you need to generate a signing key for each app.

Mark: I am running both Mac OS X 10.6.8 and Windows 7 with LiveCode 4.6.3, and Android configured for both platforms now.

The Android SDK install worked right off the bat for me under Mac OS... it was the Windows install that caused the hangup.

jens.greiner

Post by jens.greiner » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:27 pm

ctflatt wrote:Jens: since LC 4.6.2, you need to generate a signing key for each app.
Thanks!

I created the certificate as told by the corresponding revLessons and the guides at android(at)com.

I added the keystore file in the right field under "Standalone application settings..." and I saved the stack as a standalone application.
But I still get the error message mentioned earlier by trying to test with the Android emulator and while saving as standalone too. :shock:
Mac OSX 10.7.4 Lion, LiveCode 5.5 (Commercial)
on MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core i7 8GB RAM
Targets: iOS (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4(s), iPad2), Android (Emulator), Mac, Windows, LC-Server (On-Rev)

that1guy

Post by that1guy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:17 am

8-10-2011 11-10-26 PM.gif
My error
I have a fresh install after I un-installed both Android SDK and LiveCode.
The only thing that seems strange is that after adding LiveCode I am no longer able to create an Emulator from the SDK without using a command line. So using the Start button provides an error.
Not sure if this is due to the "Tech Support" assistance that created the tools folder inside the Android 8 folder or not.
I created a key file as suggested also but that didnt help either.

I can create a windows app without any issues. Is the solution that allows the Android SDK to be found breaking other things?
Dell M6500 Windows 7 16GB RAM
Targets: Windows, Android

jclantonpboss

Post by jclantonpboss » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:03 pm

I'm so close, I can almost taste the Android Emulator working.

The create tools directory and copying platform tools fixed my problem with pointing to the Android SDK.

Emulator is up and running fine. Now having same issue as That1Guy with getting LC to work with the Android Emulator or building Standalone Application on Windows 7. I keep getting the error 'Could not encode Class Bundle'.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has this one figured outl

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:39 pm

ctflatt wrote:Mark: I am running both Mac OS X 10.6.8 and Windows 7 with LiveCode 4.6.3, and Android configured for both platforms now.

Hi Todd,

I'm jealous. If you don't mind me asking, when did you install your SDK for OSX? I wonder if it was before Android decided to move the tools folder into the Android-8 folder? That change seems to have wreaked havoc on LC. On the Mac did you install in the /Developer folder or in some other folder?

Thanks

-- Mark

that1guy

Post by that1guy » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:02 pm

So out of curiousity I installed LiveCode on a MacPro that is already setup for IOS development. I downloaded the Android SDK (left it in the downloads folder, and created the tools folder with the values from platform-tools).
Created a new key.
Tried to build a standalone app and I got the SAME error!

There was an error while saving the standalone application could not encode the class bundle.

This time the Virtual Devices does start an emulator when I click start.
Dell M6500 Windows 7 16GB RAM
Targets: Windows, Android

Return to “Android Deployment”