Sluggish if screen has higher ppi (HD screens) [solved]

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Jellobus

Sluggish if screen has higher ppi (HD screens) [solved]

Post by Jellobus » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:07 pm

Performance (such as scrolling, move, show and hide of images), slows down on Android device with higher screen pixel density.

I found that it's slower with image quality set to "best" so I set the image quality to "good". Both Hardware Accelerated and acceleratedRendering set to true in the stack. LC app shows fair performance on Galaxy A10 (~271 ppi density) but overall performance becomes sluggish on Galaxy S10 (~522 ppi density).

Is there anything to manage depending on the pixel density of the devices? setting frame rate kind of thing would help? I need any clue to fix this matter.

Thanks in advance,

Louis
Last edited by Jellobus on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Sluggish if screen has higher ppi

Post by richmond62 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:04 pm

Why are you surprised?

Higher PPI means that the processor(s) has to work harder.

In my school, with teenagers who have higher PPI (Pimples Per Inch) I have to work
much harder than with the prepubescent bunch. 8)

Jellobus

Re: Sluggish if screen has higher ppi (HD screens)

Post by Jellobus » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:24 pm

No, I am not surprised but I am disappointed with how it performs because the HD screen is normal these days. (1920x1080 or Pixel density of over 4~500 ppi)

Let alone Samsung galaxy S10, LG thinQ, Google Pixel, Huawei, Xiaomi, you name it. all mainstream devices have HD screens. App should not underperformed with HD screens.

Is there a way of giving less burdens to CPU regarding image processing in HD environment?

Please help,

ps: Galaxy A10 I mentioned above is the cheapest model for emerging markets and it has 1520x720 pixels(Non-HD). Definitely it's not a mainstream phone.

Jellobus

Re: Sluggish if screen has higher ppi (HD screens) [Solved]

Post by Jellobus » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:21 pm

Making the stack size (width, height) smaller solved the issue. I think that the stack size was too large.

Cheers,

Return to “Android Deployment”