Livecode 9 - black screen problem

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

LiadTal6

Livecode 9 - black screen problem

Post by LiadTal6 » Sat May 05, 2018 5:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm using the new stable LC9 version, and everything looks fine except one thing - the "black screen" problem.
I saw in other topics that this is a known issue, but I didn't find any normal solution for this problem.
In my case, my app works on android 7 and 8 (I checked them on galaxy 7 and 8 ) and every thing looks OK.
But when I checked my app on meizu phone with android 5.1, I just see a black screen.

The only solutions that I'v found in different topics is to set the acceleratedRendering of the stack to false (I don't need to use the "acceleratedRendering" in my app, but I saw this is need to help), and to try to save the standalone in different versions of Android. With or without the "acceleratedRendering" line I get the same result, and for every android version I get the same result.

Please help me to find normal solution for this problem, I need to solve this issue as fast as I can..

Thank you all very much!

LiadTal6

Re: Livecode 9 - black screen problem

Post by LiadTal6 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:44 pm

Update - I checked my app on "Xiaomi redmi pro note 3" with Android 5.1.1 and my app works great.. so I guess that it's not a problem with the Android version, so the problem is with the phone that I use.

So in this case, how do I find a solution for the black screen problem and how can I know in which phones this problem is happening? I can't check my app on all the Android phones...

Any help from someone please?

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat May 05, 2018 10:01 pm

LiadTal6 wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 9:44 pm
the problem is with the phone that I use.
--------
So in this case, how do I find a solution for the black screen problem and how can I know in which phones this problem is happening?
Not for nothing, LiadTal6, but short of precognitive powers, that would indeed be a tough question to answer. My best serious answer is (if you are planning to market this app), put it out there and get feed back from the people that download it.

LiadTal6

Post by LiadTal6 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks, but what about fixing this problem?
Is there any way to load the app normally and not just see a black screen?

I would be happy to get any answers from everyone that can help.

Thanks.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Wed May 09, 2018 10:10 pm

I'm not sure there is a solution. Android 5 is pretty old, and soon Google Play won't even accept apps that target older versions.

When I first saw this issue it was way back in Android 2.2 and turning off all the radios fixed it ( no wifi, GPS, Bluetooth, etc.) But you can't very well expect your users to do that. The best solution is to require a newer version of the OS, or warn users that your app isn't compatible with all older phones.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

okk

Post by okk » Fri May 18, 2018 10:19 am

Hi, I had the same issue with a Huawei Y6 Pro which I bought a year ago with Android 5.1. Deployment of same stack with LC8.1.9 works fine, with 9.0.0 I get the black screen. I would assume that we should be able to deploy to hardware that is a year old. Best. Oliver

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri May 18, 2018 3:57 pm

What is the minimum version you've set in standalone settings? If it's old, try a newer one like Kit Kat or Lollipop.

okk

Post by okk » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi, I made all possible changes in deployment options, nothing so far seems to work, I get the black screeen on my android device (Huawei Y6 Pro, Android 5.1) wheny deploying from LC 9.0. Indy. When deploying from LC 8.1.9. CE everything works fine. Frustratingly many hours went into this.

Best
Oliver

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:47 pm

Does the stack use acceleratedRendering? That causes the black screen problem sometimes.

https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=21356

okk

Post by okk » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:31 pm

Hi and thanks for helping out here,
turning off the accelerated rendering or doing the workaround mentioned in the bug report did not have any effect. I could deploy to another device running android 7.0. Someone mentioned that the black screen issue started after LC 9.0 dp 5 for an Android 5.1 device.

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=29384

As mentioned above I can deploy from 8.1.9 without issues, but I need to use the new map widget. I of cause can buy another phone but it is not a good feeling to bring an app out you already know will not work on certain devices.

Best
Oliver

bangkok

Post by bangkok » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:35 am

I would like to add that 5.1 might look "old" for the fancy smartphone market... But it is still used on "industrial" devices.

As for myself, as I wrote in other threads regarding the black screen issue, I use a "barcode scanner" (an android terminal with an integrated barcode reader). And it's still sold with 5.1. Why it would be a problem ?

The device is reliable, well built, it does the job perfectly. For this market and this kind of use, we don't need the latest "gadgtets" (i mean who is going to use an IPhone number XXX to do inventory tasks in a dusty, smelly industrial warehouse?)
:)

Let's hope next version of LC 9 could solve this issue.

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:35 pm

If none of the suggestions work then it's time for a bug report.
http://quality.livecode.com

bangkok

Post by bangkok » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:03 pm

I follow up : I've installed a test app ( a few native buttons and fields), compiled with LC 9.01 rc1, on my Android 5.1 "barcode scanner" device.

No change : black screen, after launch.

bangkok

Post by bangkok » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:52 am

bangkok wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:03 pm
I follow up : I've installed a test app ( a few native buttons and fields), compiled with LC 9.01 rc1, on my Android 5.1 "barcode scanner" device.

No change : black screen, after launch.
I follow up : same test done with LC 9.01 rc2 (released today) : same result : black screen.

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:29 pm

Did you report it? The team won't know there's anything wrong unless it's in the database. They may not be able to fix it though if it's limited to that version of Android. I reported a bug that only happened in Android 6.x and they couldn't reproduce it because no one had a device running that version. It worked fine on newer versions.

Return to “Android Deployment”