Livecode Update - App Update could not be installed because of wrong signature

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Manu9351

Livecode Update - App Update could not be installed because of wrong signature

Post by Manu9351 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:33 pm

Hi everybody!

I did update my Livecode from version 8.1.6 to 8.1.9, because i needed a function which is only included in 8.1.9 (export data to specialfolderpath("external documents") (which works great, special thanks to jacque!)
I didn't update the Java SDK yet. its the same version since before.

So, i build the .apk and wanted to install it on the smartphone, but then the following error appeared:

App not installed

A package with the same name but conflicting signature is already installed

I've never got this error before. Every solution i've found in the www based on that i have to delete the app and reinstall the new version. I've tested it on a another phone, it works. But the problem is, i can't delete the app on that phone where it works, because theres a lot of data in the database, which i need after the update. If i delete the app, i'll also delete the whole data.

does anyone have an idea what to do? i didn't change anything in the Standalone developer settings. The signing is still "Sign for development only".

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Livecode Update - App Update could not be installed because of wrong signature

Post by jacque » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:57 pm

I thin by "signature" it means the reverse-domain you have entered in standalone settings, it would look something like this:

com.domain.appname

That is how Android identifies your app. If you changed that, Android would consider it a different app that happens to have the same name as an existing one. It's true you could delete the old one and that would solve it, but if you changed the signature then try that first.

Edit: I'm not positive, but because you're storing your database to external storage I don't think deleting the app will delete the external file. But even if it does, you could use a backup utility to copy it somewhere for insurance before deleting the app, and then copy it back to its current location after installation. Almost any Android file manager will allow you to move or copy external files. I like Solid Explorer.
Last edited by jacque on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Manu9351

Re: Livecode Update - App Update could not be installed because of wrong signature

Post by Manu9351 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:01 pm

jacque wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:57 pm
I thin by "signature" it means the reverse-domain you have entered in standalone settings, it would look something like this:

com.domain.appname

That is how Android identifies your app. If you changed that, Android would consider it a different app that happens to have the same name as an existing one. It's true you could delete the old one and that would solve it, but if you changed the signature then try that first.
no, i did'nt change that. thats still the same since 1.0.0
the only thing i've changed is the version number, but i did this before the livecodeupdate everytime when i save a new .apk too..

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:01 pm

Just edited my first post, see above.

Manu9351

Post by Manu9351 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:31 pm

jacque wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:01 pm
Just edited my first post, see above.
i can't store or backup the database file in the external documents, because this function will be updated with the new .apk, which i can't install.. This function is the reason, why i needed the new LC 8.1.9

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:31 pm

I'm out of ideas, sorry. Hopefully someone else can chime in. Or your could write to support if you aren't using the free version of LC.

davidshah

Post by davidshah » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:32 pm

jacque wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:57 pm

com.domain.appname

Edit: I'm not positive, but because you're storing your database to external storage I don't think deleting the app will delete the external file. But even if it does, you could use a backup utility to copy it somewhere for insurance before deleting the app, and then copy it back to its current location after installation. Almost any Android file manager will allow you to move or copy external files. I like Solid Explorer.
I have encountered this error. My app was conflicting due to having same reserve-domain with another app however on changing that I got the issue resolved. Thanks a lot for the solution @Jacque.

sherylbrock

Post by sherylbrock » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:43 pm

Hello Manu9351,

Did you find any solution to this?. I'm facing the same problem. If you find any solution, then let me know.

Regards,
Sherry

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:19 pm

I get this error if I have an app on the device that was signed for development, and then try to update it with a new version number that was signed with my key. The only solution is to delete the app from the device, or to rebuild the update as signed for development.

Return to “Android Deployment”