App crashed after “Unfortunately myApp has stopped”

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

quailcreek

App crashed after “Unfortunately myApp has stopped”

Post by quailcreek » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:52 am

How reliable is Amazon’s automated testing? I have a series of apps which are all very similar. I tested one of them on Amazon and it “crashed” after the android dialog popup “Unfortunately myApp has stopped” and then the OK button was tapped. Part of the error code was “tapping OK button with resourceID android:id/button1”. Can someone explain to me how to handle this situation? Thanks in advance.
Tom
MacBook Pro OS Mojave 10.14

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: App crashed after “Unfortunately myApp has stopped”

Post by jacque » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:29 pm

I've never used Amazon testing so take this with a grain of salt.

When you see the dialog that the app has stopped it has already crashed, so the button ID is more likely to be a button on the stack rather than in the dialog. Is there any more info in the error message that would give you an idea of what the test was doing to cause the crash?

Amazon's testing used to be only for checking compatibility with their Fire tablets. Do you know anyone with one of those? How many other Android devices have you tried it on?
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:26 pm

How is the app compiled? Monolithic standalone or splashstack and "working" stack?
With a splashstack & "working" stack combination, I have noticed that if your working stack makes a call to an external app (browser for instance) that when you return to the stack from that operation, you will get this same error. That doesn't mean the cause is the same though, but it might be something to do with the splashstack versus working stack id/memory thread.

quailcreek

Post by quailcreek » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:02 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your reply's.
The Amazon test was run on all of the Amazon fire Devices, and a Nexus 7 phone. The Nexus 7 is the device that this report came from. So far I've only run the app on the IOS sim, an iPhone 6s and the android sim. (I know, I need to get an android device to test on.) I have not seen any problems before this. The app was compiled without a splashstack.

Event 2 was at 00:37:135
Event 3 was the last line in the report.
AmazonTest.png

Here is a txt file of the report.
logcat.txt.zip
(56.54 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
Tom

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:12 pm

I haven't had a chance to look at the log file yet but there's 6 minutes between the button press and the crash so it seems unlikely that the button is the problem. The log should tell you what was being tested at the time of the crash.

If I get a chance later I'll see if I can take a look too.

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:53 pm

I looked at the log file, it doesn't tell me much except that this is probably a job for the LC team. The crash is something related to how the LC engine is handling things, I don't think there is much you can do in the script itself.

Amazon heavily customized the opensource Android OS and since the problem only happens on their hardware I'm guessing the problem is due to that. It's worth reporting to the QCC to see what the LC team says. Send them the logcat file and the image you posted here. BTW, the times in the log don't match up to the image times, not sure what's going on with that.

quailcreek

Post by quailcreek » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks Jacqueline, I appreciate you looking into this. The report that I posted was supposedly from a Nexus 7 phone, the reports for the Amazon devices are separate. When I file the bug report I’ll include those as well. Do you happen to know if when you post an app on Amazon is it required to also run on their devices?
Tom

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:02 pm

Sorry, I knew it was Nexus and then promptly forgot. I'm pretty sure that Amazon wants uploaded apps to run on all types of devices, both theirs and others. Otherwise they wouldn't be testing Nexus.

There were a lot of hits in the log when I searched for "crash" but some of them don't seem to be important. Others were related to Dropbox calls, plus a few other things I didn't quite understand. If you can test on a real device you might see the problem and figure out what's wrong. Simulators don't always work accurately with that sort of thing, I quit using them for that reason. Plus they are dog-slow.

Return to “Android Deployment”