Android v6 Deployment Results in Black Screen

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

CElwell

Android v6 Deployment Results in Black Screen

Post by CElwell » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:22 pm

I created my app about a year ago and was making a few updates when I realized that when the app is deployed on my S7 Edge running Android v6 I get a black screen. I am not sure why this is as my app has been working otherwise and I have all the appropriate SDKs updated. Any ideas why I am getting this black screen? I was using Livecode 9 so I tried the latest stable version (8.1.6), but still no luck. Thank you in advance!

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Android v6 Deployment Results in Black Screen

Post by jacque » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:44 pm

What's the minimal Android version you've set in standalone settings? There's a known black screen issue if it is Android 2.2. Try setting the minimum version to 4.1 and see if that helps.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

CElwell

Post by CElwell » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:51 am

jacque wrote:What's the minimal Android version you've set in standalone settings? There's a known black screen issue if it is Android 2.2. Try setting the minimum version to 4.1 and see if that helps.
I have it set to a minimum of 2.3.3, but I tried changing it to 4.1 and even 5. It still doesn't work and I get a black screen when testing on my s7.

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:11 am

I'm not sure what the problem might be, but a black screen can be caused when the card is not redrawn. If this happens immediately on launch, there may be something preventing a redraw. Did you add a splash screen image? If so, try removing it. Otherwise I'd send in a bug report.

CElwell

Post by CElwell » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:46 am

jacque wrote:I'm not sure what the problem might be, but a black screen can be caused when the card is not redrawn. If this happens immediately on launch, there may be something preventing a redraw. Did you add a splash screen image? If so, try removing it. Otherwise I'd send in a bug report.
I do not have a splash screen image implemented, but yes the black screen occurs immediately. Could a splash screen image solve the problem rather than the other away around?

strongbow

Post by strongbow » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:05 am

I've also had a report of a black screen on startup - the user had a Moto G4 presumably with a newish version of Android. My app was made with LC 8.1.6 with a min version of 4.2 specified. It works fine elsewhere so not sure what the problem could be here. Any possible solutions are very welcome!

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:28 am

Could a splash screen image solve the problem rather than the other away around?
I doubt it. Android doesn't really deal with splash screens much, I'm not even sure why it's in there. If anything it would delay the card display, I'd think. But it couldn't hurt to try it.

This does sound like a bug that only happens on some devices or OS versions. If you have access to another Android device it would be interesting to see how it works there.

Return to “Android Deployment”