Android Studio 2.3.3 - could not encode class bundle

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

quailcreek

Re: Android Studio 2.3.3 - could not encode class bundle

Post by quailcreek » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:47 pm

Thanks for all the input, J. I loaded all of the files under 7.0.0 then created a VM using it. Still no joy. I only thing nice about using a VM is you can test different levels of the OS. I was hoping Studio would make things easier but not so.
Tom
MacBook Pro OS Mojave 10.14

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:08 pm

Let's see what Elanor says. It may be she doesn't use VMs either though. :)
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

quailcreek

Post by quailcreek » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:46 am

Never heard back from Elanor on the simulator error. As Studio is not a Livecode product there's probably no sense in filing a bug report. Has anybody worked this out?
Tom
MacBook Pro OS Mojave 10.14

sphere

Post by sphere » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:57 pm

On my Home PC (Win7) i have Oracle jdk1.8.0_60 and the older way of installed sdk(without studio), with that no problems. LC8.1.6 still does work, but i think you had to have the sdk already installed and working before.
I'll check on my work Apple multiboot, which i use for checks of touch screens at customers. I use it too for iOs tests and program LC too when i have some sparetime.
It runs Macos, win8.1 and Win10. And i just installed Android Studio 2.3.3 there too, i'll report back.

***edit*** ok same issue when opening the emulator via Android Studio. Here i have jdk1.8.0_144 installed. The lesson to set things up with Android Studio mentions OpenJdk, but Android Studio then gives a warning that it can be unstable. So that's why i installed Oracles JDK. Any tried to open the AVD emulator via the command line to see if that helps? Of course you can close studio after starting the emulator via the Studio.

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:20 pm

Ditto here, I don't have Android Studio installed. I can build for Android with any version of LC using Apple's Java 6.0.

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:33 pm

Ok, I'm a bit confused (yah, like THAT is something new :lol: ). I'm also asking just from a curiosity standpoint, since I don't actually do mobile development :P but for the sake of say, someone in a similar situation.

Are you two saying you don't have to use Androids sdk, you can use any comparable java sdk? Like for example, I'm on linux, and in the repositories they have GCJ.
GCJ and Classpath development tools for Java(TM)
...GCJ is a front end to the GCC compiler which can natively compile both
Java(tm) source and bytecode files. The compiler can also generate class
files. Other java development tools from classpath are included in this
package.
...The package contains as well a collection of wrapper scripts and symlinks.
It is meant to provide a Java-SDK-like interface to the GCJ tool set.
So if I installed this, I would be able to develop for Android?

sphere

Post by sphere » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:13 pm

No, you need Java JDK and Android SDK

***edit*** i'm copying my old SDK from my Win7 to the apple with Win10, without the system images. It still has the gui and it runs i already checked, but i need to copy some more. Then see if i can do a build on the emulator. Alos i de-installed ORacle1.8.0-144-x64 and installed the 32bit version, although the machine is 64bit. LC is still 32bit, maybe it helps too. But i'm going sleepy now and see tomorrow if it works.

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:25 pm

@Sphere: LC is 64 bit, has been for a while (but maybe not for Android? Not sure.)

@bogs: Android offers two methods of installation, the Android Studio installation and the command line tools only. LC only needs the command line tools. Until recently, LC didn't support Studio at all, we used the command line tools only and that still works. Now that LC also supports Studio, there appears to be a problem in some cases which us old-timers can't identify because we're still using the older method.

The command line tools are available for download at the very bottom of the Android Studio web page. This installs the basic shell, which users can use to download whatever packages they need, from Android 2.2 up to the latest Android 8. Not all packages are required for LC. On Macs, the special Java for Mac 6.0 is required. Apparently if using Studio that isn't the case.

You can build for Android on any OS provided the command line tools and the correct packages are installed. The download is here, with command line tools at the very bottom:
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead ... IJQ&adurl=

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:40 pm

Ah, thank you sphere and Jacque for clearing that up for me, and for the link.

sphere

Post by sphere » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:26 pm

Ok, i officially hate windows10, i already hated windows8. :evil: :evil: :evil:
The sdk and avd worked which i had copied from my win7. I could also update things.
Then i started the Emulator, don't know why but al a sudden Win10 discovered a crash or so. Then started getting some info (you can do nothing at this moment), then restarted.
After this Win10 prevents the sdk and avd to start. It opens and closes direct. And i can't find were the setting is which prevents this.
It's save software, so why is windows10/microsoft deciding which program i may or may not run. Because it worked.

I don't get it.

So think i'm going to try the command line version now.

sphere

Post by sphere » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:30 pm

So i i'm doing it refreshed all again.
And write an Howto at the same time.
Till the part of creating the AVD everything runs fine.

I'm getting an exception error which dropped as bug now at google:
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/ ... ate=843412

Hopefully i'll get an good answer.

Maybe you can drop your issue with the AVD too.

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:10 pm

See my post in another thread. You don't need to use the command line tools at all, they just need to be installed.

sphere

Post by sphere » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:13 pm

Hi Jacque, yes i know.
But in this thread they also experience some errors building the apk and having trouble starting the emulator giving the ABI error.

As the latest sdk does not have a gui anymore (on windows)
So that's why i started to figure out the working of the new sdk, up to downloading and installing via the command line all goes well.
But then creating the AVD for the emulator, this line should create an avd with Android 6 with an sd-card of 100MB:
avdmanager create avd -n Android6 -k "system-images;android-23;google_apis;x86" -c 100M -f

gives this error:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.android.sdklib.tool.AvdManagerCli.createAvd(AvdManagerCli.java:686)
at com.android.sdklib.tool.AvdManagerCli.doAction(AvdManagerCli.java:369)
at com.android.sdklib.tool.AvdManagerCli.run(AvdManagerCli.java:205)
at com.android.sdklib.tool.AvdManagerCli.main(AvdManagerCli.java:195)

If this would have gone well then the avd should be created after which it can be executed in the emulator.
So this error i dropped at google, hoping they know what's going on.

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:53 pm

I see. I'm out of my depth now because I don't use Windows for development and I still have the older Mac GUI from when I first installed. After seeing the LC warning, I just avoided updating the build tools and used my older copy which still works. I'm not sure where Google stores older copies of SDK, but maybe you could find it online. If you were on a Mac I'd just send you mine.

I'm pretty sure the LC team is going to update everything so it is compatible with the newest SDK, they pretty much have to. I'd guess it won't be too long.

sphere

Post by sphere » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:14 am

On my own win7 i also have the gui version, and i update it and it still works ok.

On my job Apple Airbook, i have also Win10. But this is refusing to start the old gui version (while it first did), after starting the emulator crashed. I did not notice a crash but win10 came with a sort of blue screen of death notification that the program crashed. Did some info grabbing, restarted and refuses to start the sdk or avdmanager. Even after removing and reinstalling(unzipping). i don't were win10 stores the info to refuse starting those programs. So in Win10 you are not boss over your own machine anymore (looks like it...).

Here is a link to a page where you can find older packages for win, mac, linux: https://androidsdkoffline.blogspot.nl/p ... tools.html
i don't know what's the benefit of downloading packages and install them offline but that's another issue.

Return to “Android Deployment”