Android Studio 2.3.3 - could not encode class bundle

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Android Studio 2.3.3 - could not encode class bundle

Post by jacque » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:13 pm

A handy link, thanks. The main benefit would be that you could replace packages that LC doesn't support with older ones it does.

I could have used that when I accidentally downloaded the latest build tools and then found out about the warning that LC isn't compatible with them. I had to dig around in my backups to retrieve the older versions.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

quailcreek

Post by quailcreek » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:54 am

I heard back from Elanor re the OP. It does work with arm64 but as you can imagine it's agonizingly sloooooowwwwww. However, it is much easier, with Studio, to set up. I did ask her if this is something LC needs to fix. I'll let you know what she says.
Hi Tom

This error is caused by an incompatibility in the architectures. I've tested 2 emulators here and the one with an x86 CPU/ABI doesn't work but the one with an arm64 CPU/ABI does.

Can you try setting up an arm64 emulator and see if that works?

Kind regards
Elanor
Tom
MacBook Pro OS Mojave 10.14

quailcreek

Post by quailcreek » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Here's Elanor's reply.
Hi Tom

I've spoken to our Development Team and they confirm that we don’t currently support 64-bit ARM on Android, nor x86 (32 or 64-bit). The Android engine is armv6 only at the moment so this isn't a bug, it is expected.

You would probably find it much faster to connect up your Android device and test directly on that using the Development menu Test options. That's what we do here in the office as it's much faster than using Android emulators. You'll need to enable USB Debugging mode on your device.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards
Elanor
Tom
MacBook Pro OS Mojave 10.14

sphere

Post by sphere » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:45 pm

HI,

since i got the java errors when trying to create an AVD via the command line, i removed all and tried some again after getting other errors and win10 not letting me start the sdk manager. So i deleted the complete folder in windows10 c:\users\username\appdata\local\android and all other android related folders under username i could find.

downloaded 25.0.7 from the URL i gave in a previous post in this thread
created the folder stated above again and unzipped the 25.0.7 package in it
added paths to the user and system environment: the above stated URL, plus \sdk, plus \sdk\tools, plus \sdk\tools\lib. Maybe to much, i don't care.
Restarted Windows10
Started CMD (command line) as administrator
Now i could not start sdk manager.exe, it still said i can't find android.bat
So i started android.bat in the tools folder
this started the SDK manager and i could download and install all i wanted and needed up to Oreo (at least 4.0.3 and an x86 intel android 7 image)
AVD manager.exe is not startable directly, but you can open this from the menu in SDK manager
created an AVD and it started without probs
So created a shortcut on the desktop to android.bat to start the sdk manager when needed.
Also set the mobile support in lc802dp1 to the correct folder and works as expected.

So it is still possible to run the sdk and avd with gui and without having to install the Android Studio.

Return to “Android Deployment”