no JDK path after newest Android Studio & Jave SE El Capitan

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

dr_mumps

no JDK path after newest Android Studio & Jave SE El Capitan

Post by dr_mumps » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:54 pm

I have searched the FAQ's and forum for an answer to this issue but cannot find one. After installing the latest version of Android Studio (2.1.2) and Java 8 (/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_102.jdk) on a MAC running El Capitan ...LC v8.0.2 will NOT populate the JDK path in the LC Mobile Support Preference. The only way I have found to do so is to install an old Java download available on the Apple site (Download Java for OS X 2015-001) ... which is Java 6.

Granted... the MAC is "suited" for XCODE development NOT Android ... but if LC allows it, then it should be fully supported. I have asked LC support to a provide detailed description of how their "Mobile Support" preference determines the JDK Path but it would help greatly if anyone on the forum could at least let me know if they have successfully installed this newest Mac OSx Android Studio and Java SE 8U102 and gotten LC 8 to "find" the JDK path.

dr_mumps

Re: no JDK path after newest Android Studio & Jave SE El Cap

Post by dr_mumps » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:17 pm

so... here's the "answer" from LC support... and I sincerely hope the next person who goes looking for this "solution" finds this posting first and saves themselves several hours of frustration:

"... LiveCode, generally, is happy with newer versions of Java (i.e it works on non-MacOS systems) however, Apple Java and Oracle Java are not compatible with each other and the latest version of Java from Apple is 6. This is what LiveCode requires for Android Deployment on Mac. (dr_mumps: in fact *several" tutorials "point" to the Oracle web site as the source of Java WITHOUT mentioning this significant discrepancy...hmmm)

I see that our lessons and FAQ are missing this information so I've requested that they are updated to make this information more readily available. Thank you for bringing this oversight to our attention.

I've also raised this with our Dev Team to investigate as, at the least, a meaningful error message when setting the Mobile Preferences would be more helpful to the user..."

Well.. at least it is a definitive answer.. the "Apple Java" is not hard to find via Google ... here's the link:
https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_GB

Return to “Android Deployment”