MergExt Android Problems

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

gstone

MergExt Android Problems

Post by gstone » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:30 pm

Hello All.

I recently purchased the MergeExt external package as I am required to incorporate a barcode reader into an existing app, it looked very good so took that option and purchased it this morning.
I am however having problems even getting this function to work correctly; on IOS the app works like a dream but on Android the app only opens the native camera app.

I need the app to take an image then process the barcode within an Android environment. I'm quite experienced with LiveCode and becoming frustrated as it is most likely an easy mistake that I am making.

Anybody had any similar problems with installing and using MergeExt on Android? I checked and Double checked .. Even dare i say it triple checked the documentation and Android is supported.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated!

Thanks In advance :D

Gary.

Klaus

Re: MergExt Android Problems

Post by Klaus » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi Gary,

1. welcome to the forum! :D

2. As far as I know, the externals suite "MergExt" is iOS only!
Just checked the MergExt website (again) and it reads: LiveCode Externals for iOS
-> http://mergext.com/

And this under "Android" that only a few of these externals also work on Android:
-> http://mergext.com/android/

Best

Klaus

gpb01
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by gpb01 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:01 pm

Hi Klaus ...
... Gary speak about "barcode reader" and:
Some externals that need to use the Java APIs available on Android are also available but until the official SDK is released they will remain in beta and only be available to mergExt Complete users. These are mergAV with an implementation of a camera control, mergZXing with an implementation of a barcode reader and mergAndroid with a number of small features like external storage functions and displaying a toast.
so, for people with "mergExt Complete", mergZXing (mergZXing-android-1.0.0b3) is available under Android ;)

Guglielmo

gpb01

Post by gpb01 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:09 pm

Gary,
I think I remember that, in the past, there were some incompatibilities including, at the same time, iOS extensions and Android extensions. I do not know the current situation, but ... try to generate the Android application without the iOS extension included.

Guglielmo

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:46 pm

Oh, pardon, my fault! :?

gstone

Post by gstone » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:25 am

Thank you all for your support.

I only purchased the specific extension not the complete package from mergext. I have tried to run the application as "Android" only and get mixed results.
The camera operates but that is all :( When I read the documentation it stated they now work on Android not knowing you needed to buy the entire product packaged together.

Not sure there is anything I can do to get this prototype working.

Thanks again for all your help!

Gary

gpb01

Post by gpb01 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:57 am

Unfortunately, i think you have bought the iOS extension (the Android extension name is mergZXing-android-1.0.0b3, the iOS one is mergZXing-1.2.15), totally useless on Android ... so, probably, there's not much you can do :|

Guglielmo

gstone

Post by gstone » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:06 am

I had been rather hasty and got excited about the additional usage. Oh well we live and learn!

Thanks all for your support, much appreciated! :)

danibravo

Post by danibravo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:22 pm

Hi,

How can I get mergzxing for android?

Thank you in advance,

Daniel

Return to “Android Deployment”