Which version of Android ? 2.2, 2.3 or 3.0 ?

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bangkok
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Which version of Android ? 2.2, 2.3 or 3.0 ?

Post by bangkok » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:40 am

On LC 6.1... which version to choose to build an app for Android and to have the least problems and the best experience ?

It's confusing.

I plan to build an app for basic tablets (like Arnova, 1 GB Ram)... No need for fancy functions (GPS, etc.). just communicating with web servers.

userintl2012

Re: Which version of Android ? 2.2, 2.3 or 3.0 ?

Post by userintl2012 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:26 am

Hi Bangkok,
I have been using Livecode for a bit more than a year and had several problems with Android versions. My experience shows me that:

1. You must have the 2.2 Froyo installed. It is pointed by the folder android-8 under the "platforms" folder where you installed the Android SDK. In my equipment it is C:\Android SDK\platforms\android-8. If you don't have the 2.2 installed Livecode won't recognize the SDK and you won't be able to generate .apk neither test your app with any Emulator;
2. All the APIs that you mentioned will affect the Emulators that you will be able to generate. I don't know which API supports the Arnova, but this is for the Emulator. If you have the device itself, it does not make much difference.
3. I suggest you to download and install the Android SDK r21 that is covered for all 6.x.x versions (at least for me). Don't download the latest r22 because it has lots of problems
4. Run the SDK Manager as Administrator and install as many as APIs you want but do not forget the 2.2 Froyo that is the addressing base for Livecode. NEVER install the Revision 22.1 since it generates several conflicts and even Eclipse stop working properly
4. Run the AVD Manager as Administrator; in the tab Device Definitions you will see several Android devices, including the news Nexus 7, Nexus 1 by Google and Galaxy. I could not see any definition for Arnova in my installation but you should be able to emulate a similar tablet

Hope this works for you as works for me.

Best
Paulo

bangkok

Post by bangkok » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:12 am

Thanks for the tips.
userintl2012 wrote: 3. I suggest you to download and install the Android SDK r21 that is covered for all 6.x.x versions (at least for me). Don't download the latest r22 because it has lots of problems
You are talking about "rev" number, on the SDK manager appliication, one the line "Android SDK Tools" ?
I see "22.21 Status installed" on mine. This is it ?

So far, I work with 2.3.3. It's fine with the emulator.

The 2.2 gave me the infamous "black screen" (on the emulator).

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCNeil » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi bangkok et al,

I believe the "Minimum Android Version" property will only restrict your application from being installed on an Android device with is Android Version below what is set there. (e.g if it is set to 2.3.3 your application will not install on 2.2 or 2.3 device)

There will be no LiveCode based application performance increase between setting this to 2.2 or 3.0. Performance of your application will be affected by the spec of the device it is deployed too.

Kind Regards,

Neil Roger

--
RunRev Support Team ~ http://www.runrev.com
--

userintl2012

Post by userintl2012 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi,
Yes, I'm talking about the "rev" number under the SDK Manager. However, since you can use any Emulator means that your installation is OK and you can move forward.
As Neil also explained to you, the minimum version you install is 2.2 and below that the Android SDK won't work fine. As far as performance, it depends which real device you install your app.

I'm creating my emulators virtual devices as API 4.1 or above in the AVD Manager. The 2.2 Froyo is only the base where the Livecode "Mobile Support" tab in Preferences try to find the path for the SDK Tools.

Hope you will be fine. Good luck! :)

UserIntl2012

Return to “Android Deployment”