Kindle Fire & Keyboard

The place to discuss anything and everything about running your LiveCode on Android

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

SteveHanlan

Kindle Fire & Keyboard

Post by SteveHanlan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:57 pm

I have an input field that is taking decimal data, (keys are filtered for 0-9 and decimal point)

I am using...

Code: Select all

if the environment is mobile then mobileSetKeyboardType numeric
On the emulator this gives me a keyboard with the top row as numbers, but no decimal point. And the enter key does nothing!

On the device (I have rooted it to be able to test to it - sometimes), I get a 10 key plus /-and dp, but the dp does nothing and there is no enter key.

If I set the type to 'default', then I can only get digits one at a time by pressing the 123 key and hitting a number. It will then return to the alpha layout, (i.e. no num lock). At least there is an enter key, and it works !

Also, all layouts have a keyboard button, to hide the keyboard, but tapping back into the field does not bring it back up again !

Anyone else developing for the Fire ? (and if so, are you seeing any problems)

Cheers

Steve

andyh1234

Re: Kindle Fire & Keyboard

Post by andyh1234 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:46 am

Ive not tried the fire , but get the same problem on other Android devices with the 'done' button on the numeric keyboard hiding the keyboard, then selecting the same field again doesnt bring up the keyboard back up.

Unfortunately it doesnt look like livecode notices when the done key is being pressed and an no event is fired when the key is pressed (like enterkey or returnkey) so it cant be trapped. If the done key could be trapped we could just add a 'focus on nothing' to it to take focus from the field and then if it was reselected it would work, or Runrev could fire a closefield, but I guess this will be in the 'coming soon' list.

There are also two number keyboards, 'number' and 'numeric' and on my devices on has a decimal point and the other does not.

SteveHanlan

Post by SteveHanlan » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:14 pm

Andy

On the Fire, number, numeric and decimal all have the same numeric pad, with an inactive decimal and no enter/return key.
On the simulator, they all have the numeric, full keyboard with no decimal and an inactive enter key

Sheesh !

Steve›

andyh1234

Post by andyh1234 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:03 pm

So many differences between different devices!

So, if you want a keyboard with a decimal point you have to use the default one?

SteveHanlan

Post by SteveHanlan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:17 am

This is getting a little bit silly!

I got myself an old Motorola Droid running OS Version 2.2.2

I deploy to the device with the 'Test' button and run my app.

The default keyboard doesn't have a 'Done' key,the return key acts like a 'newline' key.
When an answer box is invoked, the keyboard does not come up, you have to tap in the entry field
There does not seem to be a way to turn the keyboard off after a data input into an answer box, unless I slide the phone open.

Once the keyboard is off, tapping the input field does not bring it back.

I figured that if I developed for an older droid then any user would be able to download / buy my app and use it.

I still have keyboard issues with the Kindle Fire

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be eternally grateful.

Cheers

Steve

Doug Lyman

Post by Doug Lyman » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:55 am

I have had some of the same problems with the Kindle Fire keyboard. Specifically:

1) The numeric keyboard grays the decimal the slash keys.
2) Switching from the alpha keyboard to the numeric keyboard automatically switches back to alpha after each key press.

I thought that the above issues may be specific to the KF, so I tested the same app on the Xoom with identical results.

These are currently the only issues holding us back from deploying to the Android Tablet market. It really is a shame. IOS works great.

bangkok
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by bangkok » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:03 pm

Sorry to hijack your thread... but could you tell us more about your experience with LiveCode Android on the Kindle ?

What do you do ? How is the Kindle ?

Doug Lyman

Post by Doug Lyman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:43 am

I have tested and developed LiveCode apps on the iPad, Xoom, and Kindle Fire. iPad has to be the clear favorite and of course is the dominant market leader. It has the best "fit-and-finish." Native control support in LiveCode. Air-print works great.

The Xoom is a fine product. I like this device but with comparatively little or no market share, it is hard to be an enthusiastic developer for this Android platform. Enter the Kindle Fire.

The Kindle Fire is a nice device. Great user-interface improvements and a great overall form factor - light and easy to travel with. At $199, a true bargain. I wish it had a camera and bluetooth support for an external keyboard - but I understand Amazon trying to keep the price down. Brilliant marketing with very strong sales in the last quarter (estimated at upwards of 6 million units). Combine all of this with the great Amazon ecosystem behind the Fire and you have a platform that cannot be ignored. As far as LiveCode for Android, there is no native control support (at this time). The most limiting factor for the release of a LiveCode product on this platform are the keyboard anomalies found on this thread.

cwkalish
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by cwkalish » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:59 pm

I'd also be interested in hearing more about LC on the Fire. Are there any special challenges loading apps onto the device?

Return to “Android Deployment”