documentation code examples

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

reelstuff
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

documentation code examples

Post by reelstuff » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:23 pm

I am currently evaluating 2.8.0

I am interested in what revolution studio can do.

So far I have not seen many examples of actual applications.

( in stacks and applications I noticed that there were no examples)
(except two for graphic or game related entries)

My interest here is the code once deploy everywhere statement.

Does anyone know of any actual examples of this process.

(what I mean by this is, in the stacks and applications page, I see several applications developed by extensive use of custom plugins and custom development techniques)

That is nice but how does this work for the average developer.

I am ready to make a purchase however I don't see what I am looking for and I have a lot of questions that are not answered by the documentation section which seems to be somewhat outdated, sorry if this seems like a git question.

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:24 pm

Dear reelstuff,

Code examples are everywhere. There are very brief examples in the built-in docs. There is quite a lot of code in this forum. There is much more code in the user mail list archives. There is also a section in the built-in docs that gives access to videos and pdf's with introductory information.

I have a collection of Sample Script in the Free Stuff section of the Economy-x-Talk web site (see below). The original stack is for HyperCard, but there is also a PDF available.

Many externals work on both Win and Mac, some even on Linux. This depends on the developer of the external, who may or may not compile an external for multiple platforms.

Perhaps you should describe what kind of application you intend to create and we could tell you whether it is possible and how to start.

Best regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

malte

Post by malte » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:32 pm

Hi,

what kind of apps do you want to build? With normal applications it is pretty simple.

Build on a machine running Mac OS or Windows. no (Linux engine for 2.8 yet)
Save your work, go to Standalone application settings
Build an executable for Mac OS or Windows (Linux to come)
Test Standalone on the other Operating system
Tweak the Userinterface a bit for the other Os.
Compile again and ship.

You mention 3rd party components. I can speak for animationengine here. It was developed in Revolution and is a library stack of different handlers, functions and properties that make the life for aspiring game developers / people wanting to use animation a bit easier. Everyone could have coded it on her/his own in Revolution. Basically it is me sharing my codebase, I use in my animation/game related work. This library works cross plattform (even elder versions of Revolution, including Linux) What I want to say by this is, that the components mentioned could be recoded in Revolution by anyone who knows how to do it. (In my case that required quite a while of reading and fighting math <g>). AFAIK there are currently no commercial externals released for Rev, besides the browser, font and sqlLite external that have been aquired by the mothership recently.. An external is the extension of Revs capabilities using a different language than Rev. However there are a few very (VERY!) cool externals available for free, like Trevors excellent Quicktime external. As these externals are not written in Revolution, you must assure that you have a version of the external that works on the operating system you target. After that it can be added to your workflow, you need to compile your app and make sure the external is in the right place for your Standalone.

Speaking of apps: If you want to know what can be done with Rev, it might be a good idea to ask people what they do with rev and let them post links to their Software.

I write games most of the time:

http://www.derbrill.de/index.php?lang=en

I hope the others chime in and post links to their Software.

I hope this was useful for you.

All the best,

Malte

marielle

Re: documentation code examples

Post by marielle » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:55 pm

Hi Reelstuff,

some examples at: open stacks gallery
Others in the revonline directory (you access it via the "revonline" button form within the Runrev IDE).

But this is not what you are talking about. I understand you are after really reusable components like the flexbox library of components

Technically, this is feasible. The ones who know how to do this haven't shared the information publicly yet.

reelstuff

thank you for your reply

Post by reelstuff » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:42 pm

Mark wrote:Dear reelstuff,

Code examples are everywhere. There are very brief examples in the built-in docs. There is quite a lot of code in this forum. There is much more code in the user mail list archives. There is also a section in the built-in docs that gives access to videos and pdf's with introductory information.

I have a collection of Sample Script in the Free Stuff section of the Economy-x-Talk web site (see below). The original stack is for HyperCard, but there is also a PDF available.

Many externals work on both Win and Mac, some even on Linux. This depends on the developer of the external, who may or may not compile an external for multiple platforms.

Perhaps you should describe what kind of application you intend to create and we could tell you whether it is possible and how to start.

Best regards,

Mark

Hi, I was just a little frustrated, I could not access the help center as it appears to be missing from the interface, at least in the version that I am using, there is no help center.

What I want to do is to use FLASH and VB or another language to create modern looking applications that function in unique and some would say impossible ways.

By combing AS3 with the flash player I hope to create some unique software, however as I see it this product will not function in that way.

I will see what I can find in the material.

Thank you for taking time to post.

Tim Franklin

reelstuff

Thank you for your post

Post by reelstuff » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:45 pm

malte wrote:Hi,

what kind of apps do you want to build? With normal applications it is pretty simple.

Build on a machine running Mac OS or Windows. no (Linux engine for 2.8 yet)
Save your work, go to Standalone application settings
Build an executable for Mac OS or Windows (Linux to come)
Test Standalone on the other Operating system
Tweak the Userinterface a bit for the other Os.
Compile again and ship.

You mention 3rd party components. I can speak for animationengine here. It was developed in Revolution and is a library stack of different handlers, functions and properties that make the life for aspiring game developers / people wanting to use animation a bit easier. Everyone could have coded it on her/his own in Revolution. Basically it is me sharing my codebase, I use in my animation/game related work. This library works cross plattform (even elder versions of Revolution, including Linux) What I want to say by this is, that the components mentioned could be recoded in Revolution by anyone who knows how to do it. (In my case that required quite a while of reading and fighting math <g>). AFAIK there are currently no commercial externals released for Rev, besides the browser, font and sqlLite external that have been aquired by the mothership recently.. An external is the extension of Revs capabilities using a different language than Rev. However there are a few very (VERY!) cool externals available for free, like Trevors excellent Quicktime external. As these externals are not written in Revolution, you must assure that you have a version of the external that works on the operating system you target. After that it can be added to your workflow, you need to compile your app and make sure the external is in the right place for your Standalone.

Speaking of apps: If you want to know what can be done with Rev, it might be a good idea to ask people what they do with rev and let them post links to their Software.

I write games most of the time:

http://www.derbrill.de/index.php?lang=en

I hope the others chime in and post links to their Software.

I hope this was useful for you.

All the best,

Malte
Your information has helped signigicanly, you helped me understand the way in which I might open up the system to my ideas, which is to use Flash and AS3 in the application.

I will visit your site and take a look, thank you for taking time to post.

Tim Franklin

reelstuff

Post by reelstuff » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:53 pm

marielle wrote:Hi Reelstuff,

some examples at: open stacks gallery
Others in the revonline directory (you access it via the "revonline" button form within the Runrev IDE).

But this is not what you are talking about. I understand you are after really reusable components like the flexbox library of components

Technically, this is feasible. The ones who know how to do this haven't shared the information publicly yet.

Ahhh, perhaps, it would be something interesting, but if I had a wish it would be
F in BOX, that is what I want to interface with.

I guess it is time to jump in and see what can be done.

Thank you for taking time to post an answer, I am encouraged by the interaction here.

Have a good day.

Tim Franklin

marielle

Post by marielle » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:41 pm

reelstuff wrote:I had a wish it would be F in BOX, that is what I want to interface with.
Would you be ready to pay a low monthly fee to benefit from this kind of service? If you can find me 50-100 who are, then you will have a nice library of components within 6 months :-).

Marielle

reelstuff

Post by reelstuff » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:47 pm

marielle wrote:
reelstuff wrote:I had a wish it would be F in BOX, that is what I want to interface with.
Would you be ready to pay a low monthly fee to benefit from this kind of service? If you can find me 50-100 who are, then you will have a nice library of components within 6 months :-).

Marielle
$%^$ YES,

I just paid $1000.00 for an application to be developed for me in DELPHI,

I think I overpaid,

But still, I am now looking at HAXE, now that has got me excited,

But yes, I am determined to find a way to use RR to create totally unique software solutions, what I want more than anything else is to be able to provide software to multiple platforms, like RR seems to be aimed at, the

"code once deploy everywhere"

marielle

Post by marielle » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:23 pm

reelstuff wrote:I just paid $1000.00 for an application to be developed for me in DELPHI,
If you are ready to put some money, then you won't have to wait 6 months. Only about 4-6 weeks, the time I finish my current client work. Please contact me privately to get access to information and demos. Truly, 100% reusable components. Same kind as Flex or Laszlo. Coded the OO way (not just object based... found a way to get real Object Oriented, with classes definitions within runrev).

Check out :
explorer component demo :: color palette generator
For a demo of it in action. You won't get any explanation on how it's done on this forum ... that's for private discussions only ;-)

You can then get to design some application like this one:
(coded with revolution... an app I am currently working on... same solution as the palette generator, there is a skinning system such that you can lay out each item in the listing exactly the way you want)

That you keep on the desktop for editing purpose, with the application being exported into a swf format in which the content can be viewed, browsed, and searched, but not easily edited (well, editing things on the web remains a pain because of the lack of easy access to the local file system).

You would then export into a swf file like this:
flex hybrid store demo or
Restaurant Finder

Technically, that's feasible and guess what, I know how. The only issue is for me to find a way to get a money out of this work. Somehow, my landlord expect me to pay a rent.

Marielle

Return to “Off-Topic”