LiveCode

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Janschenkel
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: LiveCode

Post by Janschenkel » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:19 am

Your revStudio license was probably converted into a 'commercial' account. The first big question to answer is: do you need the 'personal' or the 'commercial' edition?
If all you want is to build standalones for free or personal use, for Mac and iOS, you can pick that up for $198
If you want to distribute these standalones _commercially_, for Mac and iOS, then the price is indeed $499
As Mac and Windows deployment are bundled, you will get that deployment option as well. I know this upsets Mac-only users, who aren't interested in deploying to Windows - but in the larger market, the bundling of these two deployment platforms is essential for a cross-platform development tool.

If you encounter any problems wit the store or have questions about your license that aren't addressed in the FAQ for existing customers then do not hesitate to contact support@runrev.com and they will help sort things out.

Jan Schenkel.
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

JEfromCanada

Re: LiveCode installation and integration

Post by JEfromCanada » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:13 am

I purchased the Enterprise product as part of the MegaBundle promotion in January this year. Getting the products installed and integrated took me some time, because this is my first exposure to this type of language. I still haven't had the time or energy to progress beyond following the steps in the tutorials.

Now, I am fearful of installing the upgrade to 4.5 (LiveCode), because I don't know what steps (if any) need to be taken to re-install and re-integrate the other products that made up the MegaBundle.

In particular, news that this product will not install in parallel with previous versions makes me wonder whether the partners are also going to be sending me new versions to be installed on top of LiveCode.

bn

Post by bn » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:15 am

Hi JEfromCanada,
I have all kinds of versions of Rev/Livecode installed in parallel, no problem. Livecode actually is Revolution, can read and write files as .rev. The only thing that changed is the name and the extension type. The file structure is the same. All Megabundle goodies should work in Livecode, unless they have some problems with version 4.5, which is highly unlikely. The changes in 4.5 = Livecode are mainly bugfixes and PDF printing and Colorprofile changes and internal changes that don't affect functionality.

The only thing you might want to do is to create a "my livecode" folder in your documents folder, if it is not already there. This is the place where you could place plugins and external in their respective folders. Look for a "my revolution enterprise" folder in the documents folder and replicate the folders. As a matter of fact I just copied the content of the "my revolution enterprise" folder to the "my livecode" folder.
Other than that there should be no problem. If so just ask, since this can be a little confusing.

regards
Bernd

drbob001

A Follow-up...

Post by drbob001 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:36 pm

Sooo...

I am wearing a LITTLE egg, but not too badly. Turns out that my account did not properly migrate to the new system and, therefore, the new system did not understand that I was an Enterprise customer. That, in turn, did not set any of the upgrade/update flags for me, leaving me feeling like an unwanted step-child for a few days.

Heather (always on top of things) took care of the problem and, now, I have the updates/upgrades to LiveCode 4.5, including Mac, Windows, Linux and Web.

Ever skeptical, I'm unsure what the end of my update pack cycle will bring - nor the cost to upgrade/update in the future. I have asked and look forward to the answer, which I will share with you when I receive it. As Jan Schenkel said, we all need to make a living -- and "you can budget for it" -- knowing what's coming down the pike will get us all much farther than a big SURPRISE!

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:26 pm

drbob001 wrote:Actually, I'm trying to determine what, exactly, the cost of "upgrade" will be. I'm an enterprise user, as well as a founder of OnRev - however, the site isn't very cooperative with my login and fails to recognize my past purchases...
I hear you. I don't have any past purchases listed either and I bought my license directly from RunRev!
"I am an Apple user and whatever they tell me I know it is for my own good and for the good of the collective..."

Janschenkel

Post by Janschenkel » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:28 pm

InfoCentral wrote:I hear you. I don't have any past purchases listed either and I bought my license directly from RunRev!
As someone who deals with databases on a daily basis, I can only confirm that these migrations from one system to another, rarely happen without side effects.
There's always something that makes it hard, and while 99.9% works fine, an unfortunate 0.1% needs special assistance to straighten things out: different email addresses, complicated purchase histories, etc. But:
drbob001 wrote:Heather (always on top of things) took care of the problem and, now, I have the updates/upgrades to LiveCode 4.5, including Mac, Windows, Linux and Web
Heather is indeed a wonderful asset to RunRev the ompany. Anyone who has problems with their license or purchase history, should contact support@runrev.com.

Jan Schenkel.
www.quartam.com

JEfromCanada

Post by JEfromCanada » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:21 pm

bn wrote:Hi JEfromCanada,
I have all kinds of versions of Rev/Livecode installed in parallel, no problem.
Thanks for the quick response. I realize that LiveCode is basically a name change, but since purchasing the Revolution product, I have chosen to ignore the updates (not wanting to screw anything up). So, I'm currently at version 4.0, and was hoping that installing the update would not affect my current setup (i.e. all existing plug-ins delivered as part of the MegaBundle would continue to function without any reconfiguration after the update).

I guess the only part that scared me in the announcement was that the LiveCode incarnation would be installed in a different folder structure, and that's what triggered my fear that plug-ins installed in their original locations would no longer be integrated.

If I don't have to worry, and need to just run the installation executable, then that's what I'll do.

As far as creating a new (cloned) folder in My Documents, I'll take a closer look at that, since I haven't taken the time to learn what folders are actually used internally by the Revolution products.

Finally, I should say that I'm not a Mac user, so some of the items included in the MegaBundle didn't work for me and I've been skittish ever since the initial install.

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:04 am

JEfromCanada wrote: I realize that LiveCode is basically a name change
I think it more like a 50/50 split with name change/pricing structure. I really don't see the benefit for getting the upgrade unless you wanted to get into mobile, which is NEW. For me the current version and structure fits a lot better than upgrading into the new pricing structure.
"I am an Apple user and whatever they tell me I know it is for my own good and for the good of the collective..."

Simon

Post by Simon » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:57 pm

I just found out I'm a RunRev groupie!
I think the LiveCode name change is great, I didn't vote for revTalk (can't repeat what Outlook tries to replace revTalk with).
RunRev and it's small community have been great to me, I'd hate to see this forum turn into a place to flame.

Thanks to all the people who's names you'll see over and over again as you use LiveCode:
Jan, Klaus, Heather, Jacqueline, Scott, Andre, Trevor just to name a few.

Yes, I purposely left Kevin out I'm not that big of a groupie.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:08 pm

Simon wrote:I just found out I'm a RunRev groupie!
Taken with a grain of salt!

gayasoft

Post by gayasoft » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Regarding On-Rev: this is completely separate from the LiveCode product line. It is a hosting service running a version of LiveCode Server, where you can create online web pages and services in a similar way to PHP. In addition, it has a special developmpent tool for remote debugging of said pages and services.
Whether you joined On-Rev as a Founder or afterwards, nothing changes: you are not charged extra and you can enjoy the LiveCode Server updates as they become available during your subscription lifetime.

Can someone shed some light on this.
I've am On-Rev founder myself yet its new to me that it uses the LiveCode Server and the On-Rev development tool got last updated an eternity ago and is in early alpha if not prototype state, never supported docs or basic autocompletition or anything.
What would be the steps required to get the proper tool to work with it and documentation on working with it?

gayasoft

OnRev - LiveCode Server relationship?

Post by gayasoft » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:52 pm

Anyone an insight on this, especially the support staff?

Janschenkel

Re: OnRev - LiveCode Server relationship?

Post by Janschenkel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:21 am

Best to email your question to support@runrev.com as the support staff doesn't check these forums as regligiously as they answer emails.
What I can tell you is that the current On-Rev client is still the official one; its main advantage over using an FTP-capable text editor is its remote debugger.

Jan Schenkel.
www.quartam.com

gayasoft

Post by gayasoft » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:56 am

"current" does not really apply to one from summer 09 though ;-)

But I will drop them a mail to hopefully get some clarification as I've basically been forced to stop using it as its impossible to work against "unknown - works perhaps" in any productive way, especially if you are no Rev crack in general (I'm a C# - ObjC programmer)

kevinmiller
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by kevinmiller » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:15 pm

We are working on an update to the LiveCode server component, which will be built on the major architectural changes taking places for version 5 of the platform. That version number is an opportunity for us to bring the various components we have into sync and you can look for a server release just before or just after the 5 launch. The big news for server will be the addition of stack support, and the seamless integration of text encoding support based on the new Unicode capabilities in 5. I know its taken longer than we would have liked, but it is coming.
Kevin Miller ~ kevin@livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/
LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Return to “Off-Topic”