Unpacking LC on Linux

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Unpacking LC on Linux

Post by richmond62 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:03 am

On Macintosh, as a Mac app is a seemingly monolithic folder disguised as an executable it is dead easy to locate all its 'bits and bobs',
and on Windows that is also sometimes possible.

On Linux things are very different.

When I install LC on a Linux box the thing goes "whizz, bang, pop" and the LC icon turns up in the apps menu (very convenient), but
'where the fudge' the components are is anybody's guess.

When I install standalones that are Linux executables on a Linux box they go into a folder in the 'Home' folder [Xubuntu / Debian] and then I set up a link from the taskbar part of the XFCE GUI. So, if one of those standalones goes wonky it is easy to remove it and/or replace it with something better.

BUT, LC not being a monolithic thing unlike Linux standalones generated by LC means that, in all probability, the installer bungs files in some obscure corners of the Linux system.

wsamples
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Unpacking LC on Linux

Post by wsamples » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:45 pm

Richmond, If you always choose the install only for self option (IIRC this is what you've said you do) all Livecode components are installed in a '~/.runrev' directory. The icon is installed in '~/.local/share/applications' Those are the only locations where the installer puts anything unless you install for all users.

edit: it may also create the ~/my_livecode' directory for plugins, as well
'nother edit: I am stupid sometimes... it's the 'desktop' file that gets installed in ~/.local/share/applications. That's the file that your DE finds and reads to put Livecode in your menu. Poking around shows icons on my older system in '~/.local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/' but I can't find icons in my current system, which could be because I'm (maybe) missing an environmental value or perhaps have something to do with installing via the command line since the installers no longer run in GUI mode on my system 🤷‍♂️ but you might look for the icons there.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:43 pm

Thak you very much, that is extremely helpful.

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:00 pm

...and if you install for all users the directory is under "/opt" and you need to use sudo to uninstall.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:29 pm

wsamples wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:45 pm
Richmond, If you always choose the install only for self option (IIRC this is what you've said you do) all Livecode components are installed in a '~/.runrev' directory. The icon is installed in '~/.local/share/applications' Those are the only locations where the installer puts anything unless you install for all users.
Or, you could even (for Win / Lin at least) do heinous things like I do and ...
  1. install for local user only (tested on 9.6.x and earlier) on any machine, including a virtual machine
  2. copy one of the folders to usb or network share location
  3. stick the livecode exe file for the desired OS(es)
  4. run on any other machine without installing anything *

*Unable to test this working on Mac, but it probably could. Also, each NEW machine it is run on will enter the screen asking your email (which can be dismissed).
** Not tested beyond the aforementioned versions, attempts are made at your risk, not mine, will not be held accountable for your lights going out, your beer running low, or any other results of said testing.
Last edited by bogs on Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:58 pm

Welcome back from where-ever you have been lurking. :)

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:48 pm

Hey bogs!
Nice to see you here again.

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:04 pm

Bogs!

Your message contains 5 characters.
You need to enter at least 10 characters.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:12 pm

I'm not really back, but wanted to thank all who chimed in with the (very) nice happy thoughts, you all positively made my day. I wish you all the best.

Return to “Off-Topic”