Emulating Apple IIgs

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Emulating Apple IIgs

Post by richmond62 » Wed May 03, 2023 8:08 pm

How nutty can you get?

. . . as a fruitcake. 8)

https://www.sheppyware.net/software-mac ... index.html

Suspect it is 32-bit, so you'll still have to fossick out some reasonably antiquated machine.
-
awgs_small_328.png
awgs_small_328.png (43.94 KiB) Viewed 3370 times
The download links are dead ducks, so, to get the thing you'll
need to go here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20230122221 ... index.html

stam

Re: Emulating Apple IIgs

Post by stam » Wed May 03, 2023 11:30 pm

Yeah.... I was keen to relive the golden days, but:
To run Sweet16, you need a copy of the Apple IIgs ROM from either a ROM 01 or ROM 3 Apple IIgs system. You’ll also need appropriate disk images to start up from. <snip>
For legal reasons involving copyright law, you must extract a copy of the ROM from an Apple IIgs you personally own
the chance of anyone owning a working IIgs must be as close to 0 as it's possible to get... didn't they have a battery on the motherboard without which the machine would die (or at least PRAM would fail?)? Probably a good guess that get even if you had a machine in working condition this would make it a non-starter...

Hard to believe 40 year old ROMs are copyright protected, and enforced at that...

mwieder
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by mwieder » Thu May 04, 2023 12:37 am

When I was at Apple I swore I was never going to work on the IIgs... and then I got assigned to the IIgs Project Toucan. So it goes. Still have the tshirt.

My favorite thing about the IIgs was the fact that there was a spurious NMI (non-maskable interrupt) that would occur for no apparent reason. An NMI would cause an immediate halt of the computer with a screen message saying that you had to reboot - no chance to save any work in progress. The engineers working on the hardware spent endless hours trying to track it down to no avail. Finally in desperation they put in a counter, so that the reboot message wouldn't happen until after you had already reached 256 non-maskable interrupts.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Thu May 04, 2023 1:45 am

Mark.
they put in a counter, so that the reboot message wouldn't happen until after you had already reached 256 non-maskable interrupts.
Why not ten billion?

Reminds me of the time I used a Mac to control the lighting in the Petronus Towers in Malaysia. This was using HC.

I was on site and suspected they would not make their last payment, which was due immediately.

I put a counter in the home stack that, after 30 starts, stopped cold and asked for a password. I instructed them to shut down and restart every day. On my return to the US, no payment was forthcoming. One month later I got a frantic call. Had a bank transfer that day.

Craig

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Thu May 04, 2023 3:19 am

Why not ten billion?
6502 Assembly language. Only had one byte for comparison.

Return to “Off-Topic”