Arrays

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

SirWobbyTheFirst
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Arrays

Post by SirWobbyTheFirst » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:40 pm

Despite using Revolution since 2.0 I'm a complete newbie when it comes to arrays. I need some help as to how to list each custom property like what Revolution does with the Property Palette but as I said before when it comes to arrays my mind just shuts and locks the door. :roll:

Any help would be much appreciated.

shadowslash

Post by shadowslash » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:26 am

Hi mickpitkin92,

I'm not entirely sure what you're exact problem is but if you need to list the custom properties of a stack, card or object, you can simply use the code below in a handler.

Code: Select all

answer the customKeys of this stack
This displays the list of the custom properties of the current stack. If you need it to show the list of the custom properties for objects, example: field "textDisplay", then you simply replace this stack with field "textDisplay"
Parañaque, Philippines

SirWobbyTheFirst

Post by SirWobbyTheFirst » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks shadowslash.

The customKeys code has worked fine. Oh and i read your post about trying to make an Operating System through Rev. I hope you manage to complete that cos I would like too see an OS in Rev rather than C and all them. 8)

shadowslash

Post by shadowslash » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:40 pm

No problem, glad to be of help. Image

EDIT:
Yup, well I'm still only 18 ( actually, I just got 18 ) so I need to put some more reading and researching which I'm doing currently when I'm not doing something school-related... Image
Parañaque, Philippines

SirWobbyTheFirst

Im only 17

Post by SirWobbyTheFirst » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:02 am

Im only 17 and i've been programming using Rev for about 3 years now. I used to fire up Rev of the memory stick whenever there was no work to do in my school.

My dream is to have my own operating system and I would love to be able to actually programme one using Rev cos as far as Im concerned C and C++ are just to downright hard and VB is now .NET based so it relies on the Win32 API in Windows.

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:40 pm

Dear mickpitkin92,

It is impossible to use Revolution to create your own operating system because Revolution needs an operating system to run in the first place. There have been a few attempts to create "operating systems" with HyperCard and Revolution, but none have been successful. Please, dedicate your energy and time to something else.

Best,

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

shadowslash

Post by shadowslash » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:27 pm

mickpitkin92 wrote:Im only 17 and i've been programming using Rev for about 3 years now. I used to fire up Rev of the memory stick whenever there was no work to do in my school.

My dream is to have my own operating system and I would love to be able to actually programme one using Rev cos as far as Im concerned C and C++ are just to downright hard and VB is now .NET based so it relies on the Win32 API in Windows.
I just got into using the computer 3 years ago. It happened when I got really hooked to this online game called Ragnarok Online. And so, as they say, the rest is history... Image

Oh and as an irony, my course (I'm in college), doesn't have any relation to programming or softwares - whatsoever. Image I'm just stubborn enough to curiously venture through unknown territory (for me). Image
Parañaque, Philippines

SirWobbyTheFirst

Post by SirWobbyTheFirst » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:44 pm

Mark: I wasnt trying to create an operating system with Rev, I was just saying it would be a dream to shut the Apple fan boys up with an OS made from a language like Rev. Cos tbh them and the Windows enthusiasts are always arguing.

Shadowslash: That sounds a lot like me. :lol:

shadowslash

Post by shadowslash » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:46 pm

mickpitkin92 wrote:Shadowslash: That sounds a lot like me. :lol:
You play Ragnarok too? Image
Parañaque, Philippines

SirWobbyTheFirst

Post by SirWobbyTheFirst » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:46 pm

No i mean just finding something that'll keep me occupied in college. I've never actually heard of that game.

shadowslash

Post by shadowslash » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:31 pm

lol, well I played it when I was still in highschool...
Parañaque, Philippines

Troy

Post by Troy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:17 pm

mickpitkin92 wrote:Mark: I wasnt trying to create an operating system with Rev, I was just saying it would be a dream to shut the Apple fan boys up with an OS made from a language like Rev. Cos tbh them and the Windows enthusiasts are always arguing.
Well, there IS AppleScript, which is written into the Mac OS at very deep levels. Have you ever looked at it? It has basically the same syntax as Rev, so maybe you're just a little late on that one - you might want to pick again. :)

SirWobbyTheFirst

Post by SirWobbyTheFirst » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:03 am

Sorry not a mac user. Microsoft should make a DLL available to call Win32 functions from languages like Revolution cos tbh I know nothing about using VBScript.

Thanks anyways Troy. I'll keep that In mind for whenever I decide to port my software to OS and OS X. :D

Return to “Off-Topic”