Looking for a copy of RR Enterprise

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bogs

Looking for a copy of RR Enterprise

Post by bogs » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:50 pm

I didn't see another category that this would fit into, but if the mod's feel it should be moved, by all means move it :)

I contacted Lc looking for a copy of the enterprise edition 3, but alas was informed that getting a copy legitimately was not an option from their end, i.e. they can not generate a license key, they don't have a copy that old laying around, among other things.

I found a LOT of ways to get it illegitimately, but am not looking to go that route.

They did inform me though that if someone had a copy of it in installer form (I don't know if they made discs or not, but I got the impression this would be a downloaded installer of some sort. I am not looking for a copy from an already installed directory), and a license key, that they did not intend to use anymore, that I could buy that and the seller and I could contact them to have the key changed to my ownership.

I don't know if the license key distinguishes between the operating systems or not, but if it does I'd prefer linux if possible, and can do windows at need.

I realize the software is very old, and will come with no support, and of all the other pitfalls associated with running very old software. I also realize this is a very unusual request. I am also not looking to spend the national mint for software this old, but will try to recompense a reasonable amount. Keep in mind this is, on my part, more for knowledge than a profit making adventure.

What I would be looking for is mostly the key from version 2.x - 3.0 (nothing later than 3.0 though) in this case, as I have a number of legitimately downloaded full installation materials.

I would also like the available engines for all the platforms as well, if at all possible. For reference, I'm including a picture. While I would value having all of them, the unix platforms (including early mac) tend to outweigh the more modern mac and windows, either of which I would gladly do without.

If someone still has such a thing laying around, and they no longer need or use it, I hope you will contact me either through this thread, or through the pm system.

Thank you for your time.

matthiasr
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Looking for a copy of RR Enterprise

Post by matthiasr » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:42 am

matthiasr

Post by matthiasr » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:55 am

I just reread your post and noticed that you are looking for a license also.

Unfortunately i cannot help with a license key.

Regards,
Matthias

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:55 am

Thank you matthiasr, I was indeed aware of the link of which you posted, as well as many other legitimate downloads from runrev, although apparently the company is not aware of them. They did offer to build me an edition for a million, but I find myself a tad short of that amount :D

As it stands now, the license for one of the versions is what I would need, as well as the standalone engines that were available at the time.

Again, the versions that interest me the most are 2.x to 3.0, 3.5 is too new.

Thank you again for the post though.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:57 am

Just to be clear, I am not looking for a crack, warez, hack, or stolen key for use. If I were looking for that, I could get there on my own, I sure would not bring it up here.

What I am looking for is someone that has a legal copy, no longer uses it, has no intention of ever using it again, and wants to part with it along with their key as this is the route Heather told me was the only one that could be provided legitimately.

I am also looking for the standalone engines that were available at the time those versions were made, if they are still around.

Thank you again for your time.

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:45 pm

I'll see if I still have a license key and if I do I'll contact you. If I remember right, all versions of LC since the beginning have always included the ability to build for all platforms. I don't remember ever needing to purchase by OS.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:13 pm

Why is such an old engine in in 2018?

Personally I wouldn't run hardly any software that old. Too much of the world has changed, particularly with security.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:27 pm

You're using auto-complete, right? :-)

I assume bogs wants to explore the 'nix engines that were discontinued after version 3. He was lamenting their demise.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:00 pm

Thank you Jacque, I really appreciate your taking the time to look :D
jacque wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:45 pm
I don't remember ever needing to purchase by OS.
To build for, maybe. To run on, not so much that I was able to find, but I may just not have found the right downloads either.

On Linux, I have installers for 2.0 to 3 (the ideal target area for me would be 2.8.1, but willing to go lower on the 2.x series if the installer can be found). I couldn't find a linux workable installer for 2.6 or 2.7 for linux, but did find Win and Mac. I found none of the standalone attachment engines outside of Mac, Windows, Linux (screen shot from above).
I understand that without having mac9, I can't dev for mac9 because of the resource fork issue, but since I have mac9 I don't consider this much of an issue.

//// Questions that popped during my posting heh ///////

Wow Richard, you'd almost think you didn't know me at all :mrgreen: Either that, or someone hijacked Richard's account, from the spelling in it. Who are you, and what have you done with our friend Richard ?!

Jacque on the other hand has me nailed down to a 'T'. Among my other interests and hobbies, I still run a lot of those OS's. While GORM and wxWidgets hold a certain amount of appeal for development to me (well, GORM mostly), it would be nice to run rampant in them from Lc as well, for prototyping if nothing else.

I thought everyone knew my penchant for the old, obsolete, and just plain weird things I run and play with :twisted: but if it makes you happy(er), I promise to not dev for Mac OSX, or Win10, or even for most of the general public with any of the older versions I play with :P

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:02 pm

I see a Linux version in 2.9:
http://developer.runrev.com/components/ ... .9.0-dp-4/

I have a license for 2.8 but I don't see a Linux version there. The 2.8 license may work with 2.9 but I can't remember, maybe LC support would know. In my archives, I noted the license was good for "2.8+".

In that same directory structure, some of the other folders contain a zip file which I believe is the Linux build.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:27 pm

Whoa, I never expected to get that lucky, you not only have the license, but for the ideal version. I may need to erect an altar :shock:

Yes, the linux builds were (as far as I can tell) .zip format only, but as I say I can swing Win if I have to. You are awesome.

Btw, can anyone explain to me what .ric files are? rlc maybe?
Last edited by bogs on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:27 pm

I have delved through my old email archives and found a confirmation of order for Revolution Enterprise dated 22nd December 2008
support@runrev.com wrote:Thank you for your order, further details about your purchases can be found below. Please save this email in a safe place and print it out for future reference, it contains important details about the products you have bought and some of this information will be required should you wish to re-install or update them in the future.

Licensing Information
---------------------

In order to activate your products, you have been issued the following codes:

Revolution Enterprise
<redacted>-<redacted>-<redacted>-<redacted>-<redacted>
Valid for all versions until 9th April, 2010
I also have a licence file for Revolution Studio from 2007, valid for Windows, version 2.8.1 only (although the Windows version would build for OS X and Linux as well). If you can find a valid installer, I will be perfectly happy for either or both licences to be transferred to you. I don't know whether the code will work offline though - I am not sure when the licence activation via the "phone home" server was instigated.

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:29 pm

Oh I see Jacque has also come up with an option while I was delving my archives. Let me know if you still need me to dig anything out.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:41 pm

OK, now I feel like I just fell into the candy store Image

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:54 pm

@bogs, how will you deal with the license expiration date?

Return to “Off-Topic”