Mycroft — open source voice assistant

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

ClintMA

Mycroft — open source voice assistant

Post by ClintMA » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:44 pm

I'm not quite sure where to post this, so I'll start here.

This morning I came across a Kickstarter campaign for a product called Mycroft (which I have decided to back). This is an open-sourced voice (and screen) assistant (similar to Alexis). The project was funded within six and a half hours of its starting, and is approaching $200,000 in pledges.

The platform is being developed on Linux platform using python. This is beyond my skillset, but I know there are python experts here, and it would be great if a front-end using LiveCode could be developed for this product that would allow LiveCoders an opportunity to develop "skills" that operate this device.

Here is the link to their Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ai ... rm=Mycroft

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Mycroft — open source voice assistant

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:10 pm

Mycroft is a pretty cool project. We had a couple of the devs speak at our UbuCon conference during the SoCal Linux Expo a couple years ago. Great people, with some great ideas for making this sort of tech available for every developer as open source.

While the core system is written in Python, I believe they have a REST API, no? If not I can talk with them about that. They're very interested in making the system as open to all as they can.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

ClintMA

Post by ClintMA » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks for your reply Richard. I hope you do explore this as a possible platform on which to develop using LiveCode.

Before going on, I should clarify for anyone else reading this, that the company is named Mycroft.ai, their development platform is Mycroft, and they produce several products. Their first was the Mark 1. They are now running a Kickstarter campaign for the Mark II model, which incorporates a small screen and appears to be a much more polished implementation of a standalone voice assistant. The campaign is heavily oversubcribed and is closing in a few days.

I'm afraid I can't help you much with your question about Rest API. I scanned through their Kickstarter pages and their website, but found no reference to it (this doesn't mean it's not there — I could very well have missed it). The only API that I found was for a Mycroft API. Here is the section where it occurred:

• Mycroft Core: this code, written in Python, is the core software that provides the 'glue' between other modules. Mycroft Core is available under an open source license.
  • Mycroft Home and Mycroft API: this is the platform where data on Users and Devices is held. This platform provides abstraction services, such as storing API keys that are used to access third-party services to provide Skill functionality. The code for this platform is not publicly available.
https://mycroft.ai/documentation/mycrof ... -hardware/

I'm sure you'll find their website more useful than me.

One other thing of interest from their website was this list of prerequisites for developing what they call "skills" for their products:

Prerequisites
Before starting to develop Skills for Mycroft, you should already have these prerequisites:

• You should have a basic understanding of the Python programming language.
  • You should be familiar with version control using Git, and GitHub basics such as forking and committing.
  • You should have a basic understanding of regular expressions.
  • You should have a basic understanding of conversational user interface, a subset of user experience.

I have no idea how difficult it would be to build an interface between Python and LiveCode so that one could develop skills using LiveCode's more natural language approach to coding. I hope that you, or others, will explore this. Thanks for your consideration.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:18 pm

Thanks. I dropped a note to one of the engineers there. Will report back as I learn more.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Off-Topic”