Live Code Perpetual License Status?

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

ValiantCuriosity

Live Code Perpetual License Status?

Post by ValiantCuriosity » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:46 pm

Hello LiveCode Enthusiasts,

About a year ago, I purchased LiveCode. Based on my limited income, I paid a small fortune for it. It was recommended by a professional programmer that I know.

Sadly, I never did use it. It seemed like the tutorials and documents that are needed for learning all cost more money.

Every now and then, I fire LC up to take another look and do the updates. I just upgraded it to 9, I am impressed by what finally seems to be the new tutorial wizard. The old one left a lot to be desired for me.

What I am curious about is the status of this application. It seems to have gone completely to the cloud ($400 per month--YIKES) I'm not seeing anything related to perpetual licenses any longer. I'm confused about the updates. Is the perpetual application still being supported? It seems like it is, but I can't find anything about it with onsite searching.

I don't want to invest time into learning something that is going to become vaporware. I've already lost money on this venture. I have a few apps in the various stores that I've created with other technologies and I thought about using LiveCode to recreate some of them. (Android has been a "pain" to get working using my other open source coding environments).

At any rate, would some kind person answer my question?

Thank you for your time and energy on this.
-Rachel :D :?:
May I never be cured of my curiosity! :D

bogs

Re: Live Code Perpetual License Status?

Post by bogs » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:59 pm

Well, I've only ever had the community editions, but I know you can check your license status at the livecode.com portal after you sign in (license information is on the left I believe).

A few of the statements you made confused me though.
What I am curious about is the status of this application. It seems to have gone completely to the cloud ($400 per month--YIKES)
The IDE is not hosted in 'the cloud', it is installed directly on your machine. The price for 'Indy', which is what I would guess would be most people/small shops, is $499 a year, not a month. I don't think this pertains to your licensed version if you bought in and it was perpetual.

As well, there is a very functional 'community open source' edition that you can use to learn with before investing any further. Price to download = 0, it follows a hybrid opensource model (some parts are proprietary, some are not).
I don't want to invest time into learning something that is going to become vaporware.
Well, there is no way to predict what may come in the future of course, but Lc (the company) has been producing this for more than a decade, and has steady updates that whole time, so I would guess it isn't going to be 'vaporware' anytime soon.

Can't help you with android as I don't develop for it, but there are loads of threads and I believe a dedicated forum section to it in the index.

Hope some of the above was helpful :)

ValiantCuriosity

Post by ValiantCuriosity » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:45 pm

@bogs

Thank you for your reply. I've been fooling around with LC today and I think I've figured out some of the answers to my questions. I'm actually enjoying LC. That is something to say since I am a person who doesn't like coding. :lol:

I have managed to get it going on my Android test machine and also on iOS. That is a good thing. Sometimes setting up these environments are a nightmare. I had a few glitches, but on the whole, it was a smooth process.

One strange thing to me is to not be able to get an Xcode friendly file when the app is generated. I know enough of Xcode to miss that.

It is SO easy, though, to drop the app into Xcode. I will need to figure out how to upload to the App Store though. The in-app ToDo tutorial walk-thru is amazing. Such a short amount of code for an app like this with data to be saved.

Guess I will consider putting a little more time into LC.

Appreciate your speedy reply. Thanks again.
-Rachel
May I never be cured of my curiosity! :D

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:17 am

Glad I could help :)

mwieder
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by mwieder » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:28 am

Your perpetual license is still active/valid.
If you download the "Indy" version from the download page you'll have access to all the features that let you create closed-source applications, as required by the iOS app store. You'll be missing the "Business" features, but unless you're going to be creating enterprise-class applications you won't need to spring any extra money for those LC versions.

And yes... the licensing model hasn't gotten any easier to understand or keep up with as time goes by.

Return to “Off-Topic”