Interesting review of Lc

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bogs

Interesting review of Lc

Post by bogs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:22 am

Network world had a good review of Lc last year (just came across it looking for something else, of course).

Newbie4
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Interesting review of Lc

Post by Newbie4 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:03 am

Thank you for posting the link. It is a good review to show to people, especially those questioning the use of LiveCode over other languages.

It also gives rise to some ideas:

1. Approach Linux distributors and see if we can get LiveCode included in some distributions. It may not lead in that many paying customers but it is good PR to the world that LiveCode is important enough to be included with Linux standard distributions.

2. Would it be worthwhile to create a beginners or a lower grades version? Take an older, stable version and make simplified palettes and menus. Just give them a really simple interface to get started. Keep it really simple. ( this may be more for the adults who make the decision to go with LiveCode and the teachers who feel uncomfortable teaching an unknown language or teaching a computer science class). Eliminate any objections that people come up with for not using LiveCode. Give them a warm and fuzzy feeling that they can teach it.

3. Even better, have a choice of beginners, intermediate, advanced and expert menus. In this way, the language (the interface) could grow with them. As they get more proficient, they move on to more features and more functions. This would also be good for schools with computer labs that many levels use. So the different classes ( general classes as well as advanced CS classes could use the same version but change the interface.

4. He was really impressed with the interactive tutorial mentioned in the article. Maybe make a “getting started” tutorial for the lower level grades or one for adults who are very unsure of themselves in teaching CS. Make it “Hello World” simple. Assume nothing. The simpler it is, the better. It has to give people confidence to teach it as well as use it. The teaching one would be high level and offer suggestions and confidence builders. Anything to get to the point of trying it and getting started.

I know these ideas have been suggested before, and dismissed. I just think they are worth bringing up again.

Also include some quotes from the article on the webpages and marketing literature. You can say your language is great all you want but when other people say it, it is worth broadcasting to the world.
Cyril Pruszko
https://sites.google.com/a/pgcps.org/livecode/
https://sites.google.com/a/setonhs.org/app-and-game-workshop/home
https://learntolivecode.com/

bogs

Re: Interesting review of Lc

Post by bogs » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:32 am

I'd love to see 1 and 3, but I don't know that it would make it into the repos with a hybrid Oss license on one (usually programs are split into 1 of 3 categories, not 2 categories for one program). While I don't find the IDE overly complicated to navigate (for the versions I like, anyway heh) I can see it being trying to learn for some one walking in off the street so to speak.

And of course, I really agree with the after comment, but they have improved (imho) the number and quality of quotes from companies and others that actually use Lc for a range of things.

zlgo

LC 9 problem

Post by zlgo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:50 am

Not sure if I post my question on right place , but app for android created with LC9.x don't work , just black screen.Same application developed with LC8.0 on same android device works well.
After that I made very simple test stack , just one button and field and again black screen with LC9.x!Important is that I set indentically options in "Standalone" settings. :shock:

Zlatko

Return to “Off-Topic”