LiveCode Marketing Suggestions

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: LiveCode Marketing Suggestions

Post by jacque » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:08 pm

LC posts a weekly summary of activity to the mailing list. I'd think it would be easy to cross-post all or part of it to social media, at least the section on "interesting conversations", which may even draw readers in farther.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:08 pm

may even draw readers in farther.
Um . . . I do feel that LiveCode have declined re their out-reach recently.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:11 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:08 pm
What copy-n-paste do we want to see that we could not do ourselves in less time than asking them to do it?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:40 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:11 pm
richmond62 wrote:
What copy-n-paste do we want to see that we could not do ourselves in less time than asking them to do it?
Copy/paste? I would think it would be easier to just automate the posting to post in all venues.

*Disclaimer - I don't use FB, Twitter, etc, so I have no idea what requirements are for posting on such, but I would think it wouldn't take much to automate posting the use-list and site hosted blog stuff at the same time.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:48 pm

bogs wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:40 pm
FourthWorld wrote:
richmond62 wrote:

Copy/paste? I would think it would be easier to just automate the posting to post in all venues.
Might be. Feel free to post any code you write for this to Github so others can extend it.
*Disclaimer - I don't use FB, Twitter, etc, so I have no idea what requirements are for posting on such, but I would think it wouldn't take much to automate posting the use-list and site hosted blog stuff at the same time.
Perhaps. We're eager to learn what you find. :)
Richard Gaskin

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:50 pm

The list posting is fully automated. I assume posts to other places could do similarly. Then no one has to worry about it. Maybe you know how, Richard? I don't.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:17 pm

jacque wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:50 pm
The list posting is fully automated. I assume posts to other places could do similarly. Then no one has to worry about it. Maybe you know how, Richard? I don't.
Exactly. I don't. And it seems no one else here does.

That this forum can also be sent via email is a feature built into phpBB. Someone on the phpBB team had to spend many hours to make that happen so that we have the luxury of just turning it on by clicking a checkbox.

All the services Bogs listed have APIs, but none as simple to use as clicking a checkbox. They need to be read, code needs to be written, it needs to be tested, and new interfaces need to be built to use that code.

That's cool if it could happen by just wishing it into existence. But the one thing we all have in common here is we know what it takes to write useful code. :)

For myself, when something happens of note in the LC community and I have a spare minute, I drop a link into the LinkedIn, Facebook, and G+ LiveCode groups, and sometimes also paste it into Twitter with a #LiveCode tag.

Takes me less than one minute to paste into all of them.

I could automate it, but the cost of creating the automation would require using it for many years before that cost hits break-even.

I could ask someone else to do it for me. But writing the request would take at least as long as me doing it myself. And if I make it something on someone else's To Do list, I have no guarantee it'll actually get done. If I do it it gets done faster than even having to think about it much, delivering the desired result with the least effort.
Richard Gaskin

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:58 pm

vial email
Is that a spelling mistake?

"vile email" perhaps? 8)

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:04 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:58 pm
vial email
Is that a spelling mistake?

"vile email" perhaps? 8)
Fixed. Thanks.

That's it?
Richard Gaskin

sphere

Post by sphere » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:22 pm

Personally i find the lists-livecode terrible to read, but you can find things you can't find here in some cases.
I get dozens of emails even about topics i did not ask for or am not interested in.
My responses do not get thru , i don't know why.
If you read it online it's a messy thing, replies and replies copied under each answer.

Why do most people on the lists not simply do it here on the forum, so more people can read it.
It's a clear view, you can easily see what is the next message.
(searching on this forum via google delivers more hits than searching on this forum itself)

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:21 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:48 pm
bogs wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:40 pm
FourthWorld wrote:
Might be. Feel free to post any code you write for this to Github so others can extend it.
Perhaps. We're eager to learn what you find. :)
Apparently, it isn't difficult at all, as it already exists in free and paid versions in categories ranging from hobbyist to enterprise.
  • The 10 Best Social Media Management Applications - Lifewire
  • 9 Tools to Simplify and Automate Social Media - inc.com
  • "posting to multiple social media outlets automatically" - duckduckgo.com
That was easy, and I didn't have to write one line of code to do it. Does that mean I get the job?

jiml

Post by jiml » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:37 pm

Bogs wrote:
Does that mean I get the job?
Social Media Management is indeed a job. Even when semi=automated it is typically full-time. Many companies often need an entire social media staff. LC doesn't have those resources. Resources have been focused on continually improving the products more so than marketing them.

As bogs noted there are innumerable Social Media tools that could help automate crossposting content from the forum and lists. And that might be better than nothing. But that's just the start. Once posts go out. Then you usually want to monitor the responses, run analytics, and the whole ball of marketing wax. Somebody needs to own it. That's typically done from within the company who are selling the products.

Jim Lambert

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:01 am

Points all well taken Jim (just to make sure, I was only kidding about getting the job :wink: ).

My post was solely to answer the previous posting, in particular (since the question was laid out so nicely) the following (number listing by me) -
FourthWorld wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:17 pm
jacque wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:50 pm
1.] Exactly. I don't. And it seems no one else here does.
I sure don't, but someone else already did the work who does.
2.] That this forum can also be sent via email is a feature built into phpBB. Someone on the phpBB team had to spend many hours to make that happen so that we have the luxury of just turning it on by clicking a checkbox.
The programs I listed should make it about that easy.
3.] All the services Bogs listed have APIs, but none as simple to use as clicking a checkbox. They need to be read, code needs to be written, it needs to be tested, and new interfaces need to be built to use that code.
Interfaces already exist to do this.
4.] That's cool if it could happen by just wishing it into existence. But the one thing we all have in common here is we know what it takes to write useful code. :)
I didn't wish that hard, and using any of these programs is just a suggestion, I have no personal experience with any of them. I was also not paid for mentioning them, either :P
5.] For myself, when something happens of note in the LC community and I have a spare minute, I drop a link into the LinkedIn, Facebook, and G+ LiveCode groups, and sometimes also paste it into Twitter with a #LiveCode tag.

Takes me less than one minute to paste into all of them.
Hope one of the previously mentioned programs may save you (or someone else) a minute.
6.] I could automate it, but the cost of creating the automation would require using it for many years before that cost hits break-even.
Me, I first look for existing solutions, because I figure if I've thought of it, probably a lot of others beat me to it by that point.

MaxV

Post by MaxV » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:17 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:33 pm
I believe Canada was mentioned in a post on the use-livecode list.
WHAT? Does he not work anymore for Livecode? Really?
Livecode Wiki: http://livecode.wikia.com
My blog: https://livecode-blogger.blogspot.com
To post code use this: http://tinyurl.com/ogp6d5w

MaxV

Re: Is livecode dead?

Post by MaxV » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:17 pm

Wow, I just discovered this secret page:
http://www.livecode.com/directory

No description, what is it?
A list a wanted softwarehouse, live or dead?
The first customers of livecode?
Survivors of a zombie apocalypse?

but most of all: keep it secret! (as usual)

However at the present my marketing suggestions are:
  • call a webmaster that just once a week make a blog post and chek pages links and page descriptions.
  • use youtube to show code examples and results (max 5 minutes) instead of long and boring interview videos. My attention after 5 minutes reach zero.
  • close all social networks that you don't use. Otherwise you'll seem a dead company.
Livecode Wiki: http://livecode.wikia.com
My blog: https://livecode-blogger.blogspot.com
To post code use this: http://tinyurl.com/ogp6d5w

Return to “Off-Topic”