Forum Timing-Out

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jmk_phd

Forum Timing-Out

Post by jmk_phd » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:22 am

I've just spent perhaps 30 or 40 minutes composing a thoughtful reply to another user in one of our forums. Upon clicking the "Submit" button, I discovered that I'd been timed-out -- despite being a registered forum participant -- and that my reply was irretrievable using the browser "Back" button.

As you can imagine, this is incredibly frustrating. There was no way to retrieve my reply, so my thoughts and efforts were simply lost forever. Frustrating and time-consuming to recreate my reply from scratch.

This is probably the *third* time that this has occurred. I should've learned better the first time to copy my reply to the clipboard before clicking the "Submit" button, but it didn't seem unreasonable for a registered user to have at least an hour in order to compose a thoughtful reply.

My apologies to forum members who might have been awaiting a prompt reply, but I've got to get over the frustration before finding time to recreate my reply from scratch. This compromises my ability to benefit from their feedback.

If possible, forum administrators should extend to at least one hour the time allowed for registered users to post a reply. If not, please let us know how limited the time that we do have before any unsubmitted reply is irretrievably lost.

Few of us may have the time, patience, and inspiration to recreate lost forum replies from scratch when we are timed-out. This is really bad. We can't afford losing up to two hours of work (the original plus its attempted recreation.)

jeff k

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Forum Timing-Out

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:52 am

PHPBB does that by default. If I'm writing something lengthy I never trust any web app - browser crash, things happen. I prefer long form writing in a text editor so I can save as I go.

If you want a longer timeout there may be a setting in the user control panel. If not, please submit the request to support AT LiveCode.com.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

jmk_phd

Re: Forum Timing-Out

Post by jmk_phd » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:44 am

Richard --

Thanks for your reply. Registered forum participants apparently can't alter the default forum time-out setting, so the obvious alternative -- which I'd employed for a decade before a similar problem was resolved with an online academic learning system (Blackboard) -- is simply to compose a reply offline, then copy-paste this to a forum reply.

jeff k

Return to “Off-Topic”