Crowdfunding LC Stuff

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Mikey
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Crowdfunding LC Stuff

Post by Mikey » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:20 am

I'm moving this discussion from the Dictionary thread.

I'd like to discuss crowdfunding stuff that we want to have done.
This would be similar to what any of the crowdfunding platforms do, but, I would like to not have it cost 10% of the raise, which is what most platforms charge once you include interchange fees.

Members of the community can propose a project, we can get bids from the community, and folks who want it can pitch in. When it's done, the person or team that make it happen get paid.

FourthWorld

Re: Crowdfunding LC Stuff

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:19 am

I wonder if we could use LC Ltd's existing system for that? Better than building another one from scratch, and I'd rather the 5% go to LC than to Indygogo or some other company.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Mikey

Re: Crowdfunding LC Stuff

Post by Mikey » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:55 am

The problem with having LC host it is the foreign currency fees. I think we would be better off if we can figure out a way to avoid fees as much as possible. I would also like to consider an alternative model to pledge-and-pay-up, maybe something more akin to an "account", where participants would have a balance that they could pledge and apply without having to have us chase them for payment. The only people who could pledge would be people who have adequate funds available.

The next question I would ask is "what's the incentive to pay anything at all"? I would answer that there are a couple of classes of possible projects: altruistic, i.e. everyone who pledges is doing it for the sake of doing it, early access (similar to what Monte has done when one of us paid him to develop an external), pay-to-play, and subscription.

Tag. Y'all are it.

Return to “Off-Topic”