LiveCode under Windows vs macOS

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

ElZitouni

LiveCode under Windows vs macOS

Post by ElZitouni » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:23 pm

hello: it may be impossible to answer this question, but I am in the process of investing into my new lab's infrastructure and do not want to end up wasting money.

All the software used in my lab I developed over the last years on macOS and have been deployed for macOS use. It works reasonably fast, at least fast enough for my purposes.

Now I am facing the following decision: spend about 2K for each Mac I buy or half of that for a comparable PC, or at least a PC i believe to be comparable. But since I have little idea about PCs, I do not know what PC compares in delivered speed to the mac I have chosen.

So here are the questions I would like to ask you:
1) What PC would compare to an Apple iMac (21.5" retina) i7 at 3.3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB fusion drive? In Canada, educational pricing puts this at around $2.5 K
2) What PC would compare to an Apple mac mini i7 3.0 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB fusion drive? In Canada, educational pricing puts this at around $1.7 K
3) Related to these issues: does LiveCode -- in principle -- run faster under macOS or Windows, if that can be answered.

Thank you very much for your help.

Olli.

Return to “Off-Topic”