Nudge, nudge, nudge ...

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

AxWald

Nudge, nudge, nudge ...

Post by AxWald » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:13 pm

Hi,

just had my strangest LV bug ever. *)

Working on a modal chooser stack I had, after hours of coding & debugging, finally finished all the GUI, including the two pop up btns meant to work as filters. Such is, for me, tedious and detestable work, nudging around buttons, intercepting rawkeydowns, keyups and mousedoubleups, messing with the message passing order - no fun at all.
Anyways, it was nearly ready. Only to put all in place, then done - hooray!
(I don't need to mention that my last "Save" was at least 2h ago, right?)

So I select both btns, get "Align" in the property inspector, adjust heights and widths, and start to nudge them a bit right, using the nice little arrow in the inspector. I must have hit the nice little arrow too hard, or too often. Because it seemed "stuck" - the 2 buttons didn't stop again, they slowly wandered from left to right, first the upper one, then the lower one. Again and again. And again, unstoppable. What would happen if they'd reach the edge of the monitor? Would they fall down on my desk?

LC was completely unresponsive now. No clicks wherever did anything, neither Ctrl-period. Switching the LC windows using the windows task bar worked, but didn't help anything. I started to sweat, reconsidering how much work I'd delete if I had to kill LC now.

After a while the buttons switched direction, and started creeping back to the left. Then a bit up, right again, left again. Looked like an overload of messed up nudge messages ;-)
Went to make more coffee. When I came back 1/4h later, the buttons happily sat in the top right corner of their window, and seemed to like it there. LC allowed me save the stack, before I reloaded it. Puh.
Only then I realized that on my other screen, hidden behind the text editor & the SQL tool, sat my mod version of MaxV's "auto backup", that saves a copy of the working stack all 5 minutes ...

For your entertainment & better understanding I re-staged the situation:
nudgebug.jpg
Red arrows indicate an unstoppable creeping along ...
Have fun!

*) Well, dunno if it's a real bug. After reloading LC, again selecting the 2 btns & calling the inspector I got an revError, with quite some text in the msg box, about propertypalette & menubar. Assume one or more of the revStacks got an injury & needs replacement.
And it's 6.7.10 anyways, so no need to file a bug report. Nobody would care anyways.
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Nudge, nudge, nudge ...

Post by dunbarx » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:34 pm

AxWald.

v 6x notwithstanding, can you duplicate this? I bet the team would be interested, because there might be something deep in the engine (assuming it was not doughnut crumbs stuck in your keyboard) that might still be lurking in v8.

Craig

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:57 pm

I get that pretty often. Not dependent on any particular LC version.
It seem that the mouseDown message registers in the scrollbar, but then the mouseRelease/mouseUp message doesn't.
And there's no way to stop it until it gets to the end.
No recipe, not repeatable. It just happens.

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:13 pm

Hi,

tried to reproduce, failed. And to be honest, I don't really want to see it again ...

I actually think there's something awful lurking deep inside my LC 6.7.10, namely in the property palette.
There's some little annoyances every now and then - scripts that suddenly think they "have been edited from another source", handlers that get invoked without any user interaction, IDE going in "no responding" mode for some extended time, without any obvious reason.
Seems "property palette is open" is a requirement for those. So I made it a habit to have it closed whenever possible.

Inspired by Mag's work I have begun to make me a less intrusive, minimalistic replacement the for property & tool palettes - after all, by far the most stuff in these is never ever touched by me, and they keep to be in the way. Even if they don't create havoc ...
But this is a long time project, and may never finish. Especially if I have this much "more important" code to write as these days. Thus the delay in responding, too. Sry.

Have fun!
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

Return to “Off-Topic”