Livecode Developers for Hire

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

deadparrotsoftware

Livecode Developers for Hire

Post by deadparrotsoftware » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:37 pm

We found it astonishing that posting a LiveCode project for bid on freelancer, odesk and other sites resulted in NO LiveCode developers bidding. Not one.

LC refused to give us any idea how many LiveCode developers are out there.

LC said they were creating a "database" of LiveCode developers who wanted to work on projects, and we could use that - for a mere ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS minimum, UP FRONT!

Seriously? I can contact (on their home web site) almost any dev platform out there - Xojo, Delphi, Titanium, Phonegap, etc. - and be put in touch with developers for NO charge at all. And it easy to find them on freelancer, odesk, etc.

Either the number of developers actually using LiveCode is VERY very small, or none of them are interested in freelance work?

Sid B.
Director, Marketing and Support
http://AppBuzzinga.com - App Making Software, Source Code, & Information
Win, MAC, Android, Apple, WordPress

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Livecode Developers for Hire

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:06 pm

I'm not familiar with any developer listing accessible for a fee. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding. LiveCode has a directory of developers available publicly at their site:
https://livecode.com/directory

It seems from your message that you have a request for proposal you'd like to post, yes?

If so the best place to do that is in the Jobs section of the LiveCode group on LinkedIn, the single largest LiveCode group online:
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/50811

You're also welcome to post an RFP here in this forum. Many do, and usually meet with a quick response.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

deadparrotsoftware

Post by deadparrotsoftware » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:02 am

No, there was no misunderstanding - the email from the director of Business Development was very clear: minimum of $1000 for search access to the database of livecode developers they just started building (my chief engineer filled out a form as a developer), and a minimum of $1K to $5K for any developer, depending on our project requirements.

We did look at the directory, but there are only 13 people/agencies listed there.

I do appreciate the heads up about the linkedin group - we will join that. :-)

And yes, I will post an RFP here. Basically, we want to find a freelancer for remote work-for-hire developing 1 or more cross-platform Apps every month.

Plus we have a few we want to port to LiveCode AFTER they fix the issue of having no widget/control for placing in-App ad banners in our Apps (multi-platform).

Any freelancers interested are welcome to contact me here.

Sid B.

heatherlaine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by heatherlaine » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:25 pm

Dear Sid,

Clearly there are some wires crossed here. I have seen the communications in question. What we were offering you, for a fee, was a full blown recruitment service, including administering tests for suitability. Obviously, we have misunderstood your needs. If all you require is a database search, as Richard has already indicated we do have a free and public directory of consultants, and there is a fine linkedIn group with over 2000 members - thank you Richard for pointing that out, very helpful.

I was not able to answer your question on how many LiveCode developers there are available for hire because I do not know the answer to that question. I'm sorry you took that as a "refusal". To give you some indication of the numbers, there is clearly a substantial community, as there are over 100,000 users registered on these forums.

I hope that you are able to find a developer to suit your needs,

Warm Regards,

Heather

deadparrotsoftware

Post by deadparrotsoftware » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:06 pm

Confusion is indeed correct - why would an indy shop need a full recruitment service? I did point out in our initial email that we hired part-time, per project remote help, so one could see how we misinterpreted the response.

Your public directory is a great idea, but it has all of 13 people TOTAL in it. NO Livecode developers responded on odesk, freelancer and 5 other sites we tried. And only 1 person on this forum seems interested in work. A very . . . surprising development.

As to the other question - we did not ask how many developers there were for hire. We were interested in the size of the LiveCode user base in general. Since all users register, it would seem an easy question. There are nearly a million Xojo users, for example, about a million Titanium users, and nearly 2 million Delphi, etc. We would like to promote LiveCode use, and that is an important consideration to potential users. (We have about 14,000+ programmers in our group, using several of our specialty software tools).

Sid B.

tomrzaca

Post by tomrzaca » Fri May 06, 2016 8:24 pm

I am currently looking for a LiveCoder to complete a software project for windows that woul capture a video from a wifi GoPro Hero 4 and manipulate that video.

Return to “Off-Topic”