who is mirye revolution.

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

kotikoti

who is mirye revolution.

Post by kotikoti » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:45 pm

the site http://www.contentparadise.com/us/user/partner.Mirye is selling revolution under the names mirye revolution 3.0 (standard/enterprise). Who is mirye, and why rev software being sold under a different banner.
Build 160
Version 2.9.0
Platform: Windows

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:22 pm

Lynn P.

Post by Lynn P. » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:35 am

Mirye is the official publisher of Runtime Revolution for North America and Japan.
:)

bangkok
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by bangkok » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:57 am

Lynn P. wrote:Mirye is the official publisher of Runtime Revolution for North America and Japan.
:)
It's indeed confusing.

Revolution, Revtalk, Runtime Revolution, Mirye... the "brand", the product is totally lost in translation if I may say.

They should change the name of the product. I mean "revolution" published by the editor "Runtime Revolution" are way too generic as keywords... Try with google. It's a nightmare.

I really believe it's a major flaw in their marketing (???) policy : it hurts a lot the visibility of the tool.

We need a real and original identity, only one, and stick with it.

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:20 am

Hi,

AFAIK Japanese and Americans can still buy Revolution directly at the Apple store. I also think that, if you live in e.g. Japan and want to become a reseller, you could apply for such a status.

The name "Revolution" is still way better than "R" ;-)

If I search for "Revolution", RunRev is with the first 30 out of 140 million hits. That's not bad.

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:14 pm

I've seen many a regional distributor, but never before seen a software product with multiple "publishers".

I agree with the many who note that it confuses people every time it comes up.

There is one company that makes one product that many sell. That company is Runtime Revolution Ltd, and the product is Revolution.

In this global 21st century, regional branding cannot be helpful, nor even possible. Everything is but one click away from everything else. A single product must have a single name to be recognized.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

paul_gr

Post by paul_gr » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:52 pm

My confusion comes from the word "Publisher". To me, the publisher is the one that makes the product.

Paul

Obleo

Post by Obleo » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:39 pm

Publishers in games and software mostly never actually makes any products. Here is a great example of that. Freeverse.com Every single title they offer, they did not make. Another development team did, And Freeverse sells products.

Play-First is a publisher and developer. They develop all the games that end in dash but also sell "publish" others titles.

For a long time I made a poker utility app called Hold-em Dominator that was published by poker pages. They actually even get there name on the product as it looks as if they made it. (when they didn't)

Why would one do this you may ask. It pain and simple, Publishers Sell Products ( a lot of units) offer up the support for your product and make the developer money with out worrying about anything but updating the product and making more products.

It really the smart way to go if your a small business that can not focus on to many things at one time. Best of all your product has a much better chance selling over trying to self publish.

Some Publishers will ask for exclusive rights to sell, then the developers royalties are higher. Most publishers actually want the royalties to be lower going back to the developer so this is the reason that there can be so many publishers because lower royalties means an non-exclusive rights.

You will see this more with games than software. This is not new and honestly it the way to go for a small shop to sell as many units as they can. And make some good cash doing so.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:44 pm

True, the person doing the coding is often not the person buying shelf space. That's how it was with Flash, Photoshop, SuperCard, and the first versions of a great many products.

But what's different here is that Revolution already has a publisher, as it's been for many years.

This new unpronouncable entity is by their nature a distributor, but has chosen to refer to itself as a publisher to justify changing the name of the product.

Whether this is the first time in software history that a product has had two simultaneous publishers might be noteworthy but isn't the core issue.

The core issue is that a single product with two names is simply confusing.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Obleo

Post by Obleo » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:04 pm

That is True FourthWorld product name changing is very confusing. Usually a name or title changes when a company sells all right to another company like when Adobe bought out Macromedia. Or like when Google bought up Sketch-UP.

I just looked for this mirye and I can see how the name and packaging of Revolution could confuse anyone.

Return to “Off-Topic”