Interesting Challenge and Concept

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

WaltBrown

Interesting Challenge and Concept

Post by WaltBrown » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:10 pm

I saw some discussions of floating point precision here and on the mailing list recently. I also received a loosely related email from www.dzone.com (that I cut and partially pasted below) that I thought might be of interest here. Given RunRev's and golf's mutual Scottish roots, LC Golf might make for some interesting diversions, code examples, educational challenges, etc.
Code Golf

Code Golf, like the game of golf, is an exercise in brevity - the fewest lines of code and the smaller the file size, the better. It requires creativity, knowledge of your craft, and perseverance. Last week's winner completed the task in 48 characters. Congratulations to Alex!

In honor of Pi Day, this week's challenge will be related to Pi. Based on a numerical input, you'll need to output that digit of Pi (behind the decimal). The catch - you cannot use any built-in Pi functions.

What's in it for you? The winner will receive some awesome DZone swag! So what are you waiting for?
Walt Brown
Omnis traductor traditor

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Interesting Challenge and Concept

Post by richmond62 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:20 pm

Well, apart from the fact that Golf started in Holland (played on ice) and RunRev started life as a front-end bolted onto an American product . . . .

Return to “Off-Topic”