Why so hard to purchase LC?

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Vanceone

Why so hard to purchase LC?

Post by Vanceone » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:07 am

So this is the second time this has happened to me.

Last year, I took advantage of one of the LiveCode bundles. Problem: It took a call to my bank to authorize the transaction, because RunRev is in Scotland, and naturally from the States it raises security flags.

We got it worked out, over a day's time.

Same thing again as I want to renew. Bank slaps a hold on the card, denies the transaction, and I have to wrestle the bank to get them to remove the hold. How many people don't buy LiveCode because it's a day long purchase process?

Would it make sense to get a subsidiary or something in the US to accept payment so it won't trigger the bank security system every time?

shawnblc
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Why so hard to purchase LC?

Post by shawnblc » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:16 am

Since you know your bank is like that, I'd suggest calling the bank prior to making the purchase and letting them that in the next hour or two you plan on making an online purchase from Scotland and for them to let the transaction go through. I've done this and it's quick and painless.

WaltBrown

Post by WaltBrown » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:48 am

I've never had that problem. My bank is PNC. My international purchases have all gone through. Once in every 5 years or so their security department is triggered but a single short call to them clears it up in minutes (even at 2 AM at a gas station in rural Italy :-)
Walt Brown
Omnis traductor traditor

Vanceone

Post by Vanceone » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:41 am

Well, the thing was I didn't know my bank was like that--the previous year it was a client that graciously paid for the software, and this year I get to pay to renew. So it happened with different cards, banks, and accounts; I just figured it was a fairly common occurrence. It is frustrating, though.

Still, preauthorizing it seems like a solution. I wish RunRev had something less likely to trigger warning flags for those of us who don't travel to Europe often. :)

MikeinHawaii

Post by MikeinHawaii » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:28 am

Probably something to do with loosing the election to give England the boot.

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:30 pm

I think it's pretty common now because of all the fraud. My bank refused my Kickstarter payment, and apparently so did a lot of people's because there were some list posts about it. Many of us had to reauthorize and resend.

I had to notify them when I went overseas to prevent that. You might be able to tell them to whitelist RunRev depending on how they keep their records.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Off-Topic”