HTML5 to LiveCode

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

anmldr

HTML5 to LiveCode

Post by anmldr » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:50 pm

In this campaign, does this also mean that LiveCode apps on other platforms than the web will have a browser control that supports JavaScript and HTML5? I assume so since apps could be compiled once and deployed everywhere else. I just am asking for confirmation in hopes that it it true. I did donate to the campaign while it was underway!

Linda

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: HTML5 to LiveCode

Post by Mark » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:16 pm

Hi Linda,

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. The LiveCode to HTML5 campaign means that LiveCode apps will be deployable as HTML5 wep apps. It doesn't necessarily mean that LiveCode can render HTML5, but the current browser controls already do a good job.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

dave.kilroy
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: HTML5 to LiveCode

Post by dave.kilroy » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:38 pm

Hi Linda

My understanding is that (when RunRev have built it) in LiveCode's standalone builder we will have an option to deploy our code to HTML5. What exactly will be included in the resulting 'standalone' I don't know - but guess it will be a zipped up file containing necessary html, javascript and css files for running in browsers.

Back to the present day, if you open a browser with "revBrowserOpenCef()" it creates one of the new chrome-based browsers - as opposed to using "revBrowserOpen()" which opens the non-cef browser - and only when you are dealing with the new chrome-based browser you can include javascript handlers etc (see dictionary for details). One other thing, LiveCode's cef browser is only for Windows and mac.

Jumping forward in time again, I should think (but I'm just guessing) that by the time RunRev have launched their HTML5 product, the browser control we will use from within LiveCode apps will be at least as powerful as the version is now...

Kind regards

Dave
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

Return to “Off-Topic”