Critical mass

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

How to reach the critical mass?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:21 pm

More videos
No votes
Promotion on journals
No votes
Promotion on blogs
5%
Promotion on social networks (Facebook, G+, etc.)
5%
Interview videos
No votes
More examples
37%
A better homepage
11%
Success stories
No votes
No action, Livecode is well known
No votes
Other...
42%

Total votes: 19

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Critical mass

Post by jacque » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:23 am

Some of us have been working with the product, or its predecessor, for 20 years or more. It's natural to feel loyalty to a product that is so empowering, and that isn't a bad thing. What we rarely see here are personal attacks though.

If you believe that there are no substantial projects created with LiveCode, or that the web site is lying, or that the company is somehow disingenuous, then I can think of two possible solutions: explore the product, create something, see how you like it, ask us if it will do xyz and we'll tell you honestly. Or continue looking at other products to see if they meet your needs better.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:32 am

I am glad I went to bed early last night; when this thread was just starting a 3rd screen.

Personal attacks are not a good thing.

I do think the RunRev site needs rejigging.

I don't think RunRev should be getting "all hairy-chested" about who can build the "App to out all apps", mainly
because we live in a pluralistic universe, which is and should be reflected in the world of computer programming.

I do think that RunRev, who have many, many extremely satisfied customers producing some extremely clever stuff,
should be shouting about that clever stuff, not just by saying "many of our customers produce clever stuff", but
by providing links to that clever stuff, as well as to reviews of that clever stuff.

amthonyblack

Post by amthonyblack » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:48 pm

jacque wrote:Some of us have been working with the product, or its predecessor, for 20 years or more. It's natural to feel loyalty to a product that is so empowering, and that isn't a bad thing. What we rarely see here are personal attacks though.
I have and against those that are new asking questions that you don't like. I've seen people called trolls several times. So you scare them away. Thats hardly a virtue. its good for maintaining a clique but not for critical mass. Do as you wish, ban if you wish but you will not get good sweet responses when some of you question the genuiness of people's productive suggestions as richard did regardless if he does it subtle or directly. No apologies. Go back and read when I made the suggestion of a contest and tell me how you or richard determine it was "not in Earnest" (code word for being fake). Apparently you don't mind personal attacks and insinuations as long as they come from a certain side. its not shocking mind you I already talked about the hyper defensiveness and that comes with that territory. Heres a tip though - don't like personal attacks? don't make em.

As for the rest. Well if its all about nostalgia then yes that might be a bad thing. keeps you stuck in the past and unable to see why people who do not share that nolstagia do not come running. Might even hurt the progress of the platform down the line when people stuck in romantic nostalgia get hurt if the card metapahor is dropped some time in the future or you realize that what is left is not hypercard enough and renders hypercard dead. Anyway This will upset you no end but the twenty year thing is actually what raises more questions to newbies (Yes I have on my flame retardant clothes today). Its very rare for a platform to go out and then come back "in" decades later. however it this case I think livecode is making those changes and it may be viable but regardless that nolstalgia seems to be a driving force of enthusiasm is not that great for a platform .

Runreve made a good decision and probably would be even better to divorce the hypercard past from livecode even more. No platform hits critical mass based on the past but the present.

If you believe that there are no substantial projects created with LiveCode, or that the web site is lying, or that the company is somehow disingenuous

It was your Hypercard buddy that questioned my genuinenesss Jacque and now you are circling the wagon (which yes I expected) to distort what I wrote like he did. I do not know that there are no substantial projects out there. thats when people ask questions Jacque - when they do not know. I proposed a contest to actually get them to come out so how would I be saying there are none. I do think richards objections are odd. He seems to imply that that apps would be made just for the contest and so it not being feasible. that would only be the case if there were not apps already out there to merely be submitted. A few of you seem offended that I don't take your word for it one way or another but thats just it. Most people won't and a lot of them won't even hit this forum to find you saying so either. You can expect people to fall over and say yes I will commit to a platform based on your saying so but thats not the blueprint for hitting critical mass

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:46 pm

Anthony...

Hypercard buddy here. Remember? I have written several posts about you since our first encounter, that some of your core ideas are sound and that you find LC interesting enough to spend the effort here. Your style is just too much, though. Do you not see this at all?

Jacque...

You said nothing to deserve this, as I did not.

Anthony...

Do you not see this at all?

Craig Newman

amthonyblack

Post by amthonyblack » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:41 pm

Your style is just too much, though. Do you not see this at all?
Craig you don't even know my style. Be sensible. you know nothing about me but a few posts here. Is it accurate that my posts show a certain amount of displeasure and then attitude with how this community handles people who ask questions or raise issues you don't like? yes that would be sensible. DO I show a certain amount of disrespect after being accused of not being genuine ? Yes or course - respect like disrespect is often earned.. But take that out of that context to determine what my style is? no - thats illogical. You have no clue on that subject . My first post here shows no such style but yes I did object to your condescensing mind reading to that first post.

and um yes If Jacque cannot point to me where I said that Revrun was lying about there being multimillion dollar companies built using Livecode and wishes to insinuate like richard that I did then yes he had a stern rebuttal to that lie coming

Doesn't matter how many buddies see it otherwise. That is to be expected. however the unethicalness of claiming things were said that never were is not up to a vote not if morality has any value.

Can you not see that at all?
Last edited by amthonyblack on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:56 pm

I don't think Kevin Miller tells lies.

KLM is an airline that must be at least a multi-million dollar industry, and they use Livecode for their ticketing system: http://livecode.com/showcase/

"University of Vienna uses LiveCode to develop its logistics and management systems."

There is also something about one of the funny little cars currently rolling around on Mars being managed/controlled by a Livecode stack'app, but I cannot lay my hands on the reference.

As the two top cases are real, well-documented and easily accessible I'm not sure why you are writing about people telling lies.

amthonyblack

Post by amthonyblack » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:16 pm

"As the two top cases are real, well-documented and easily accessible I'm not sure why you are writing about people telling lies."

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE. HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND? HAVE YOU NO SHAME? You think if you can lie about me saying something I never said enough you can make it true??? What a pack on intellectually dishonest people.

I NEVER accused anyone of lying. For those that are illiterate - I suggested a contest to show those who may be out there and have said now three times I neither know if it is true or not. No not accepting or not rejecting is NOT claiming someone is lying. Grow up and stop making utterly false accusations because of your hypercard nostalgic fanboyishness

but NO KLM was not a company built into a multi million dollar company using livecode as the phrase suggests but a company that merely uses it after the fact of it being built. the same goes for the university example. The passage insinuates that the business was built with livecode at its core. If not what? Am I to join up and become a university because I own Livecode? Don't be silly. Again since I must express it over and over that does not mean that runvev is lying but that the passage could refer to some other companies that I am not aware (and apparently none of you are either)of as yet.

Sheesh this open source community is horrible and deserves a bad write up just for that. Congratulations - one is coming soon enough. You have all done great in helping to achieve "critical mass".
Last edited by amthonyblack on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:21 pm

Here's a quote from an earlier posting of yours:

" If Jacque cannot point to me where I said that Revrun was lying"

I can see the word 'lying' there.

amthonyblack

Post by amthonyblack » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:29 pm

richmond62 wrote:Here's a quote from an earlier posting of yours:

" If Jacque cannot point to me where I said that Revrun was lying"

I can see the word 'lying' there.
So if I was referring to someone else claiming that I said Revrun was lying it means that I was saying that revrun was lying. What are you? Like 6 years old? either that or your English reading comprehension over there in Bulgaria sucks and you should go study some more.

heatherlaine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by heatherlaine » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:33 am

Ok, I regret at this point that enough is enough. This thread is over. It is no longer serving any useful purpose and is degenerating into personal attacks. Our forum is a polite and friendly place, created for users to help each other in using, learning and understanding LiveCode. Posts that do not conform to this etiquette have no place here.

For the record, Canela Software is a multi-million dollar company with LiveCode at its core. This quote was given to us by its CEO, Mark Talluto:

"I started a software company with no prior experience. I learned LiveCode and built a multi-million dollar business."

You can see we use this quote here:

http://university.livecode.com/

Please feel free to contact the CEO of the company and ask him to verify this.

I am locking this topic.

Regards,

Heather

Heather Laine
Customer Services Manager
http://www.livecode.com/

Return to “Off-Topic”