Will LiveCode make all other programming languages obsolete?

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

rushedone

Will LiveCode make all other programming languages obsolete?

Post by rushedone » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:53 am

I'm a total noob so excuse the stupid question

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Will LiveCode make all other programming languages obsol

Post by Simon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:24 am

Welcome to the forum... We like questions here!

Mark Schonewille has written a new book for beginners, you can download a sample here:
http://qery.us/3fr

On page 11 there is a great graph that displays a "no-go" area for LC. Take a little time to understand what that graph means. After years of coding in LC I finally understand LC's place in the software world. (It's a pretty big place).

To answer your question, not very likely.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

rushedone

Post by rushedone » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:57 am

So that "Open Language" project that runrev is doing is not really designed to make LiveCode the end all be all of programming languages? (theoretically speaking at least)

That seemed like the most amazing and interesting part of the LiveCode kickstarter campaign when I first read it :(

Simon

Post by Simon » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:09 am

Well if we are speaking theoretically... Then Yes.
But I don't speak theoretical :D

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

archer2009BUSknbj

Post by archer2009BUSknbj » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:27 am

Based on the sample the book looks like it will be good, although the sample pages cut off just at the point where things get a bit harder, so you can't quite judge.
Most of the stuff I'm interested in happens around chapter 5.

I know you're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover but that truly is an interesting cover choice ... :D

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Livecode will never be "the language to end all programming languages" anymore than a spoken language, e.g. English, is ever either "a finished product", or a language that makes all other languages look second class.

What Livecode is is a very powerful 4th generation language, which can do an awful lot of things that many other 4th generation languages cannot, is not confined to one or two operating systems, is extensible, and is much, much easier to learn than languages such as C++.

Having worked with PASCAL 5 and FORTRAN IV in what prune-faced characters are wont to call "the golden age of computer programming" (meaning bloody hard slog with scant reward, but it makes me feel hairy-chested that I suffered all that crap when you didn't), and subsequently having looked at C++ and the rather feeble attempts to do what Livecode does far, far better (think MS Visual Basic), I can only say, that while Livecode is not the "B and END ALL" (and nor will any other programming language be either, as computers, their systems and their capabilities keep expanding) it is far better and far, far more accessible than "the rest".

There are things that Livecode cannot do, and they can be divided into two categories:

1. what Livecode will never do because of inherent limitations within the language.

2. what Livecode cannot do right now, either:

2.1. because it hasn't been extended sufficiently to cope with those things by RunRev,

or

2.2. the IDE hasn't been extended with plugins and add-ons by end-users.

Now that Livecode is available in an 'unfettered' form (i.e. open source) anybody who has the knowledge, the time and the oomph
can sit down and see just exactly how far they can extend/push Livecode, and share their results: let's hope that that is exactly
what happens with the Open Source version, from which we (the installed user-base) and RunRev (the company) can profit
in a way which benefits everybody.

And, if that last bit reads like a bit of hagiography; well, it is, and I am openly partisan.

Richmond Mathewson.

Sean O'Connor

Post by Sean O'Connor » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:35 pm

@richmond62,I agree totally with your comments about LC and woud add the rollowing remarks.
1) Lc , in my view is a very good prototyping environment.
2) LC is a very good learning tool for learning to think like a pregrammer without having to get too bogged down by over complex syntax( the immediate feedback as you work through a project cuts away at the code - compile - debug..cycle.).
all in all it is what a good RAD should be so it is a good tool for both the enthuseast who wants to knock up an application without having to envest heavily in a complex language( think c++ and java ), and the professional developer who is working under tight contraints in terms of timing of delivery and product updates..

languages will continue to evolve and I dare say that there will be saveral leaps and bounds in the world of software development over time..
( just for fun, imagine several years in the future a developer or end user might, instead of writing code and dragging elements around on a screen, actuallly have a two way conversation with their computer as part of the development process.).
when the going gets tough the tough get going.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:19 am

"( just for fun . . . " you might like to download my Master's thesis on Agent-led interfaces (+ the code, all written in LIvecode) and see that some of us have been saying pretty much what you have
just written for quite some time.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:03 am

That was daft; I forgot to give you the link!

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/RRRThesis/

alex298

Post by alex298 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:32 am

Hi,

Wow.... this topic is quite exciting to me.

I am still using RR4.0.0 therefore I didn't know the real POWER of LiveCode. I just find out that LiveCode is an open source. This is a really good news to me:) I should have came back to this forum often even I have no more incentive to upgrade to LiveCode some years ago :cry:

Best regards
Alex
Nice to meet all of you.

Return to “Off-Topic”