Alpha Five, Windev

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jchu
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Alpha Five, Windev

Post by jchu » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:21 am

Can anyone comment on Alpha Five, Windev or Clarion and how Revolution compared to them? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

cseymour

Post by cseymour » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:54 pm

I don't think Clarion is Cross-platform

asawyer13

Post by asawyer13 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:54 pm

I can and I can't.
I own both AlphaFive and WinDev, but I am brand new to Rev.

AlphaFive is good, although my background is sql server and mysql database along with Oracle, so the dbf files are a little weird for me to get used to.
It can now talk to sql databases but you have to program using their script to get, update, etc. If they really had their normal A5 product that would natively talk to sql server databases, it would be a real winner, but I think they're going more towards web so I don't expect it.

WinDev is failry expensive, good, but my main problem is that it's based in France, so all the really good HowTo's etc, are in French. It has a fairly high learning curve, but as best as I can tell, can create some nice apps. and to some extent, you can take a windev app and move it to the web via their webdev product.

I'm sure that didn't help too much, but since I really don't know Rev yet, that's the best I can do.

Alan

jej

Post by jej » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:42 pm

Hello,

I'm a WinDev user and i just have downloaded Revolution to see some functions.
I saw some really interesting automatic functions but but the problem for me is the runtime.

WinDev seems to be more expansive but you don't have to pay a runtime form your applications and Hyper File databases.

The advantage of WinDev is also the compatibility with WebDev and WinDev Mobile.
I am also developping Pocket PC applications.
JEJ
http://blogonwindev.blogspot.com

Return to “Off-Topic”