Analytics with Livecode.

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: heatherlaine, Klaus, FourthWorld, robinmiller, kevinmiller

Kaubs

Analytics with Livecode.

Post by Kaubs » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:36 pm

Hello!

I wanted to share a project I am currently working on and see how the LiveCode community feels about it. I feel that what I am building could be a great value add to any project but decided iOS would be a great place to start. Does anyone have an interest in analytics tracking and or push notifications for an app?

I am writing a stack that could be installed as a substack to your mainstack where you would be able to track events such as app first launch, image uploads, any action really that you would like to see metrics on. The server side of this process is already built where you would have a console set up for each project and can track events live as they happen from your app users. This could be a great way to market to your users!

I would love some feedback to see if anyone is interested in such a thing. Also, please let me know if I am unclear or if I can answer any questions!

Thanks!
Kaubs

Kaubs

Re: Analytics with Livecode.

Post by Kaubs » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:25 pm

Just wanted to make sure I made everything clear. Anyone have questions?

townsend
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by townsend » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:42 pm

Does this stack require a liveCode Server? IE: a revOnline.com account?
Could results be reported via email if no LC server is available?
Or maybe written to a mySQL or PostgreSQL table?

Kaubs

Post by Kaubs » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:08 am

It wouldn't require a rev server. Basically it would be a standalone substack that you could call from another substack. To be installed with your project more or less. It would use a server that is currently in production to show analytics data that you track based off of calling certain commands from another substack which track data. Make sense?

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:15 am

What sort of analytics are provided? The iOS SDK license is very restrictive, and Apple seems to be working very hard to make sure that developers have as little useful info about their customers as possible. This sort of thing would likely be very useful for Android, but I'd want to check the fine print of Apple's license before deciding whether to try to collect user data by any means other than the few Apple provides.
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

Kaubs

Post by Kaubs » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:20 pm

We have a few apps on the market that have been approved by apple using this method. More or less events defined by the developer. When a person launches the app for the first time, when an image is uploaded, when a user registers an account for example. Pretty much anything you as the developer could want to track. The information you track is then accessible to you the developer or your client if you so please. It's not publicly available nor is it sold to anyone else, its your data. The stack I'm working on would certainly work for any LiveCode App.

Does this clear things up? I'm sorry I cannot go in to too much detail at the moment on the web end of things or what the UI will look like. Soon with interest I'm sure I could give some invites out to preview it if there is interest. As I said, it is currently in production, however we have not yet chosen to make it available for use outside of our company.

Please by all means feel free to ask more questions and as always I'll do my best to answer them.

trevix

Post by trevix » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Kaubs: what happened to your project?

Regards
Trevix

Return to “iOS Deployment”