Creating a magazine

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

MaxDangerMouse

Creating a magazine

Post by MaxDangerMouse » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:42 am

Hi Eveyone,

I've been at this for a while and just can't seem to crack it.

I'm trying to create a magazine style app for the iPad. It's based on an already existing magazine for which I have the pdf.

Initally I created 36 cards, converted each page of my pdf to a seperate image and placed this on each card. I was able to do swipe and page turns and even zoom and it looked beautiful in the simulator. When I put it on the device it slowed down a lot and the image lost a heap of quality causing it to be difficult to read.

I did see in the pinch tutorial that "The image scaling algorithms in Rev have not been optimized for the iPhone yet meaning that dynamic image scaling is quite slow on the device. So in this example we are scaling a graphic which is very fast." so I assume this was my problem.

Can anyone tell me how else I may be able to get this to work. Would creating 36 single page pdfs and displaying one on each page still allow me to capture a swipe getsure and move to the next card?

Thanks
Max

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Creating a magazine

Post by Mark » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:24 pm

Hi Max,

I think that a Phonegap app would be a quicker solution in this case. Who knows when the LiveCode's image routines will be improved...?

You could create a LiveCode app that takes your PDF, converts it to separate images, puts them into a web app, which is then put into Phonegap + XCode.

One little problem: you'd need to create a separate app for each edition of your magazine. Wouldn't it be much easier to make an app that downloads the pages from a server?

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

ctflatt
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by ctflatt » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:21 pm

Max:

I recently finished a basic magazine app which is currently on the app store.

It's a free iPad app if you'd like to take a look. It uses several iOS techniques and visual effects, and if you're interested, I can send you the LC stack to examine.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/megazine ... ?mt=8&ls=1

Just let me know.

:Todd

MaxDangerMouse

Post by MaxDangerMouse » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:49 am

That'd be great thanks Todd. Really like the app by the way.

Saw your previous posts and am glad to see you got it all to work.

Max

Return to “iOS Deployment”