iOS Keyboard

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

RickD

iOS Keyboard

Post by RickD » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:43 am

Hi,
I have an app that has a text field with traversal on. When I touch the field the iOS keyboard pops up and I can enter a value in the box.
My question is how do I get rid of the keyboard? No matter what I touch, the keyboard remains on the screen. The only way I have found to get rid of it is to close the card and go to a different card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

John
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: iOS Keyboard

Post by John » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:26 am

On the iPad there is a "hide keyboard" button located in the lower right hand of the keyboard that pops up. It seems to work. I presume the iPhone keyboard is missing this button and the question goes to it? I have noticed that tapping outside of the field does not dismiss the keyboard on the iPad which is the expected behavior. Additionally, there is no way to select the keyboard style that pops up. Looks like keyboard support is rather rudimentary at this time. If you do find a way to deal with it please post what you find. I would like my app (iPad) to support expected behaviors.

Thanks,
John

ctflatt

Post by ctflatt » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:35 am

Rick:

Is this behavior in the Simulator or an actual device? I tried a text field (focusable) on a blank card and spun up the Simulator and it worked fine.

Can you attach a file or reproduce your code here?

RickD

Post by RickD » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:31 pm

Thanks for your replies ctflatt & John,

The behavior is the same in the simulator as a physical iPhone.
There really is no code to post. I have a text field which is focusable and when I tap the field, the keyboard comes up. No matter what I tap after I enter the text in the field, the keyboard does not go away. I tried taping out of the text field as well as other buttons in the screen, the keyboard remains.

Thanks guys!

ctflatt

Post by ctflatt » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:58 pm

Rick:

I have since tested again in the Simulator, and it appears to be working fine. I am using the latest pre-release... 4.0.0-prerelease-14 (2010-11-10).

Are you at this version?

I placed a focusable text field on a card and ran it. Entering text into the field then clicking outside the field dismisses the keyboard simulating both iPad and iPhone devices...

Hope we can figure this one out for you, too.

RickD

Post by RickD » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:48 pm

ctflatt:

Sorry for my delayed response but I have been traveling.

At any rate, after I read your post I started removing one object at a time to see what was causing the keyboard to reamin stuck in the screen.
What I found is that I had an image to cover the entire background of the iphone. It is that light blue stripped background that the iphones use on most applications. As soon as I deleted the image, the keyboard stated to work as expected.

Fix:
I created a transparent button (which i disabled) and set the icon property to the image referenced above. Now I can touch any part of the screen and the keyboard dissapears as expected.

This seems to be a bug as far as I am concerned. The problem is that you cannot disable images, only controls.

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Return to “iOS Deployment”