text to speech in iOS 16.1.2

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

trevix

text to speech in iOS 16.1.2

Post by trevix » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:23 pm

Since I installed iOS 16.1.2 the text to speech on my standalone has starded to behave strangely.

What happens is that, on launch, the speed is extremely fast for most voices, except for a few voices, like for example Thomas, Alice, Tessa, Samantha, Moira.

Does this thing has happened to some of you too?
Trevix
OSX 14.3.1 xCode 15 LC 10 DP7 iOS 15> Android 7>

SWEdeAndy
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: text to speech in iOS 16.1.2

Post by SWEdeAndy » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:45 am

I tested my MölkkyMaster app which uses text-to-speech. A lot of new voice options have appeared with iOS16, which is cool (if not always very useful, like the English Jester... :D ). But to my relief, the speech speed is normal in my app.

In Settings -> Accessibility -> Spoken Content you can adjust the general speech speed of the device. But if you get different speeds for different voices, then I'm not sure if that solves it...

Wow, I just discovered that in the Spoken Content pane you can also make custom adjustments to pronunciation of specific phrases! Maybe I can finally get it to pronounce some names correctly... :D
Andreas Bergendal
Independent app and system developer
WhenInSpace: https://wheninspace.se

trevix

Post by trevix » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:43 am

Hello.
I was talking on how Livecode standalone behave on ioS16 relating to text to speech.
My standalone, on launch, load the list of available voices and set the speed to a normal value.
Unfortunatly, with a few exceptions, most voices play at a very rapid speed.
I think there is something related to the text to speech extension of LC
Regards
Trevix
OSX 14.3.1 xCode 15 LC 10 DP7 iOS 15> Android 7>

SWEdeAndy

Post by SWEdeAndy » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:09 pm

trevix wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:43 am
Hello.
I was talking on how Livecode standalone behave on ioS16 relating to text to speech.
My standalone, on launch, load the list of available voices and set the speed to a normal value.
Yes, so we are talking about the same thing, and my app (standalone, on iOS 16.1.2) also loads the voices at startup (with speechGetVoices()). My app does not call speechSetRate() though, so the default rate is used.
trevix wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:43 am
Unfortunatly, with a few exceptions, most voices play at a very rapid speed.
I think there is something related to the text to speech extension of LC
Regards
Possibly. My app was last deployed to App Store more than a year ago, so I can't remember which LC version I used (9.x something). I don't know if anything changed in the speech library since then?

In any case, I cannot confirm that iOS 16.1.2 caused a general problem with the speech lib. My app still works as expected. I tried many voices and all speak at normal rate.

Maybe try not setting the speechSetRate at startup and see if it makes any difference?
Andreas Bergendal
Independent app and system developer
WhenInSpace: https://wheninspace.se

Return to “iOS Deployment”