Unable to start simulation & Unable to start simulator

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

KimD

Unable to start simulation & Unable to start simulator

Post by KimD » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:30 am

I'm hoping for some advice on how to get the iOS simulator to work.

LC 9.0.4 MacOS 10.11.6 XCode 8.2
LC > Preferences > Mobile support iOS SDK's has a green box and says that my available simulators are 10.2.
My apps standalone settings are to build for "iPod, iPhone & iPad", and "9.0 or later", and "iOS Team Provisioning Profile:*"

Using XCode > Window > Devices - I can load my LC iOS standalone onto a physical iPad 2 (IOS 9.3.5) and get it running without problems. But it all turns to **** when I try to get the simulator working.

FIRST - without using XCode to start the simulator.

LC > Development > Test Target - I'm offered iPad simulator 10.2 and iPhone simulator 10.2. I select iPhone simulator 10.2

LC > Test

LC standalone builder does its stuff. Lot of waiting. LC message (x4) about the simulator taking a long time to launch. Yes - I'm happy to keep trying.

When eventually the simulator does start, it gives me an error message - "Unable to start simulation: The request to open my_app_name failed."

SECOND - with using XCODE to pre-start a simulator. XCODE > Developer Tools > Simulator > Hardware > Device > iOS 10.2 > iPhone 7. Now, with an iPhone 7 simulator already displayed -

LC > Test

LC standalone builder does its stuff. Much less waiting. I quickly get a different error message -

"Unable to start simulator: 634,0,0,unknown C++ exception 573,228,1,revIPhoneSetSimulatorSDK"

I'd rate my knowledge of XCode at 3 /100, and my knowledge of MacOS at little better. Any advice on how I can get LC to run the iOS simulator would be much appreciated.

Kim

KimD

Re: Unable to start simulation & Unable to start simulator

Post by KimD » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:55 am

Solved it by following the steps outlined by Panos here - https://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?t=30859

Specifically :
1. Close iPhone 5 simulator
2. Use XCode to manually open iPhone 6 (or later) simulator
3. Wait until the new simulator FULLY loads and shows the home screen.
4. Quit and restart LC
5. Try again to test using the simulator

Thanks (again) Panos

Kim

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: Unable to start simulation & Unable to start simulator

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:47 am

You're welcome Kim, I am glad you got this working :)

Cheers,
Panos
--

Return to “iOS Deployment”