Missing Info.plist key - NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

mvillion
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Missing Info.plist key - NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription

Post by mvillion » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:14 pm

Ho Hum.

Never a dull day.

So. My code has not changed. My settings have not changed. I do a build. I create the .ipa file and it all uploads perfectly.

A few minutes later I get this error message in an email from Apple. I have never seen this before.

Missing Info.plist key - This app attempts to access privacy-sensitive data without a usage description. The app's Info.plist must contain an NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription key with a string value explaining to the user how the app uses this data.

I look at my LC settings and under the requirements tab -> Location Authorization Type is set to 'When in use'

Head scratch at this point. I wonder if Apple have changed something again.

simon.schvartzman

Re: Missing Info.plist key - NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription

Post by simon.schvartzman » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:10 am

Hi, same happened to me today (March 27th 2019), yesterday it didn't ask for it but today it does.

I looked at the info.plist built by LC 9.0.3 and in fact there is no such Key.

I added it manually and the App was approved.

Is there something LC should do about it?

Regards
Simon

Jim Mac

Post by Jim Mac » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:34 am

Wow.... this is really a pain. I'm in the same boat.
Yesterday upload app fine. Found something I needed to tweak. I'll fix it and reupload.
Well, this is interesting. now its being rejected? I got the same NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription string missing error as everyone else and NOW I HAVE TO EDIT PLISTS AGAIN! I had just goten used to not having to edit them to get rid of the HealthKit bug.

I know it's hard to keep up with all the changes but... come on!

j

scott_morrow

Post by scott_morrow » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:24 pm

My app was also just rejected due to:

"Missing Purpose String in Info.plist File. Your app's code references one or more APIs that access sensitive user data. The app's Info.plist file should contain a NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription key with a user-facing purpose string explaining clearly and completely why your app needs the data."

I'm confused because my app does not require location services. In the LC Standalone Settings the only choices are "Always" and "When in use" This seems to imply that location services are required whether the app needs them or not. In my case I'm unsure what would be an appropriate purpose string since I don't need permission for location services.
Elementary Software
...now with 20% less chalk dust!

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:30 pm

Found a plist editor here : https://github.com/trozware/rev_stacks

Maybe that can be of some help ?

PS: I have no Apple products so I cant test

teacherguy

Post by teacherguy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:55 pm

Clearly Apple changed something. But, as I have brought up in another thread, the plists generated by LC include claims of usage for all kinds of services my apps do not use (photo library, microphone, on and on). Apple is getting more strict about privacy. We need plists that actually reflect what services our apps use.

I tried adding the NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription key, but now appstoreconnect currently has my app upload activity as blank...which says to me that they don't like what I sent them. None of my previous uploads show, and I can't add this most recent build to a new release. Not good.

Worried that they are going to call me out for trying to get around something.

UPDATE: It took two hours for the build to become available for me to attach to the next App Store update. We'll see if it passes review. Hopefully this was just an App Store log jam.

simon.schvartzman

Post by simon.schvartzman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:46 am

Today I got the following from Apple
Missing Purpose String in Info.plist File - Your app's code references one or more APIs that access sensitive user data. The app's Info.plist file should contain a NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription key with a user-facing purpose string explaining clearly and completely why your app needs the data. Starting Spring 2019, all apps submitted to the App Store that access user data will be required to include a purpose string. If you're using external libraries or SDKs, they may reference APIs that require a purpose string. While your app might not use these APIs, a purpose string is still required. You can contact the developer of the library or SDK and request they release a version of their code that doesn't contain the APIs. Learn more (https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... _s_privacy).
Anybody knows if/when LC is going to release a new version to handle this?
Simon

KimD

Post by KimD » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:39 pm

Same issue here.

I can easily add a NSLocationAlwaysUsageDescription to my info.plist, but it doesn't make any sense (to me) that I should need to because my app doesn't require any location data.

Seems odd, but mine is not to reason why...

Return to “iOS Deployment”