Error saving standalone

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

JackD
Livecode Opensource Backer

Error saving standalone

Post by JackD » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:54 am

I was excited to see the new release of LC 8.1.9 because it supposedly supports OS X 10.13, XCode 9.2, and iOS 11.2. However, I can't save a standalone app with it. Since my real app wouldn't work, I tried a very simple app that has only 1 field that displays the current time. I can create a standalone with LC 8.1.8 but I always get an error message with 8.1.9: "There was an error while saving the standalone application" and then several lines that make no sense to me (see attachment). I can run both apps in the simulator with no problems. Does anyone have an idea of what is happening here?
Attachments
error_saving_standalone.jpg
27" iMac, OS X 10.13
iPad 3, iPad Pro, iPhone 4s, iPhone 6, LG Optimus L9 phone, Samsung Galaxy Camera
LiveCode 8.1.9

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: Error saving standalone

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:32 am

Hi JackD,

This happens probably because the path to the Xcode command-line tools is not up to date. This usually happens when you download a new version of Xcode.

What is the output of the following terminal command:

xcode-select -p

If this returns something different than xcode9.2, you have to set it to xcode9.2:

sudo xcode-select -s /path/to/xcode9.2.app

Then quit LC, clear the prefs and set the path to xcode (in LC mobile preferences)

Hopefully this should work.

An alternative way to do that is from the Xcode interface:

- Launch Xcode 9.2
- Go to Xcode -> Preferences -> Locations
- In the Command Line Tools dropdown, choose "Xcode 9.2"
- Again, quit LC, clear the prefs and set the path to xcode (in LC mobile preferences)

Best,
Panos
--

JackD

Post by JackD » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Thank you Panos. Your solution works and I can now create a standalone app and have it run on an iPhone with iOS 11.2.5. However, I can't get it to install on my iPad that also has iOS 11.2.5. I get a message "App installation failed. Could not write to this device." and sometimes Invalid entitlements. I've unpaired the iPad from Xcode, shut it down, restarted, but still get the message, even for my simple test stack. iPad is included in the standalone applications settings and it has plenty of space. Any idea why this happens. For me, getting an app installed on an iOS device is the hardest part of developing an app.

Thanks,
Jack
27" iMac, OS X 10.13
iPad 3, iPad Pro, iPhone 4s, iPhone 6, LG Optimus L9 phone, Samsung Galaxy Camera
LiveCode 8.1.9

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:48 am

Hi JackD,

This ( "App installation failed. Could not write to this device." ) can happen for a number of reasons:

1. the device has not enough free space
2. you used a distribution provisioning profile instead of a development provisioning profile
3 ..

This error comes from Xcode (and not from LiveCode), so if you search for "App installation failed. Could not write to this device." you'll see several other cases of this error, as well as suggested solutions.

Hope this helps,
Panos
--

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:39 pm

A common problem is that the provisioning profile doesn't include the UUID of the test device.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

JackD

Post by JackD » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:00 pm

The provisioning profile I was using did include the device where installation failed. However, I created a new provisioning profile and for some reason the app will install now. Is it necessary to create a new one with each version of Xcode?
27" iMac, OS X 10.13
LiveCode 8.1.9

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:00 pm

I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure how Apple is doing these things today. Could it be that the original profile had expired?
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

JackD

Post by JackD » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:53 pm

Hi jacque,

No, the profile that did not work was only about a month old. The code signing procedure remains a mystery to me.

Thanks for your help,
Jack
27" iMac, OS X 10.13
LiveCode 8.1.9

Return to “iOS Deployment”