Getting the test button to work

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

marksmithhfx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Getting the test button to work

Post by marksmithhfx » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:16 am

I guess this is not a deal breaker because I can still select my iPad 2 as a target and it will download the software and run it. However, it would be nice to be able to test in the development environment as well. When I set the target to iPad 11.1 (the only iPad option in LC 8.1.8 ) and select TEST a dialog box appears saying "Configuring Simulator" with a little activity widget and there it remains. Nothing ever happens. Just checked and its still there, an hour later. This dialog has no window decorations (minimize, close, etc) so there is no way to dismiss it. It just whirls away.

Now this might be due to versioning, I don't know. My application settings for iOS are set to 9.3 or later (because I am running iOS 9.3.5 on the old clunker) and the simulator, as installed in LC 8.1.8, gives an option of 11.1 or later for the target (and nothing else).

Any suggestions.

Thanks...

Mark
macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey), Xcode 14.2, LC 10.0.0, iOS 15.6.1
Targets: Mac, iOS

quailcreek

Re: Getting the test button to work

Post by quailcreek » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:00 am

So you're trying to test your app in the sym, right. You need to start the sym from Xcode first using Xcode > Open Development Tool. This is a kink that started with 8.1.8. It was fixed in LC 8.1.9 rc1. I would load 8.1.9 stable and try again, starting the sym as I described above.
Tom
MacBook Pro OS Mojave 10.14

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:04 am

Thanks Tom. I ran into a couple of issues. First, I had a new iPad 5 so I got everything working with that first... works fine (and MUCH faster). Then I started xCode and selected the iPad 11.2 simulator as you suggested and it fired up. However, it does not fit on my MacBook pro screen. I can't see the home button for example. Is there anyway to shrink it to fit the MacBook screen? That aside when I went back to Livecode where I had compiled for iOS 11.2 or later, 64 bit and iPad (the settings required for the real deal) and hit the test button (test target had also been configured for iPad 11.2) I got the following dialog error. Which of course means nothing to me. Someday they'll learn to translate this stuff into human readable form or replace us all with robots :lol:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 8.49.50 PM.png

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:09 am

Hi marksmithhfx,

I do not think there is a way to resize the simulator window, but it should have a scrollbar that allows you to scroll it vertically.

I suggest following these steps:

(I assume you use LC 8.1.9 and Xcode 9.2)

0. Make sure in the Mobile Preferences in LC you have selected *only* the path to Xcode 9.2
1. Open the simulator from Xcode, as Tom suggested.
2. Once the simulator opens wait for it to fully load (i.e. wait to show the Apple logo, the progress bar and then the home screen)
3. In case the simulator is not the device you want (it usually opens iPhone 5s), change the device:

From the simulator menubar choose:

Hardware -> Device -> iOS 11.2 -> iPad ..

4. Wait for the new simulator window to load fully, as in step 2
5. Close the "old" simulator window

6. Now go back to LC, make sure you select the simulator (Development -> Test Target) and send the standalone to the simulator using the Test button.

Hopefully this should now work.

Best,
Panos

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:15 am

Panos, you are brilliant. Thank you. Everything worked following your instructions, except one thing: there is no scroll bar on screen. However, my app works fine because all the controls are on the screen and I just discovered command-shift-H which simulates the home button so we are ok. Still blows my mind that command-shift-H, which exits the app and returns to the home screen, also has time to encrypt the entire database. All very fast. Thanks

Mark
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 8.14.28 PM.png

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi Mark,

You are welcome.

You can try the following, to change the size of the simulator:

1. In the menubar of the simulator, uncheck "Window -> Show Device Bezels".

This will make the window of the simulator to look like a normal MacOS window, and it will make it smaller

2. If you want it even smaller, you can check "Window -> Physical Size"

Hope this helps,
Panos
--

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi Panos, thanks for you help. One other issue has cropped up. The keyboard does not display on the simulator screen but does on the iPad. Is this a known issue?

Thanks

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Hi Mark,

If the Software keyboard does not appear when it is expected, then you have to change the simulator settings. In the simulator menubar choose Hardware -> Keyboard -> Toggle Software Keyboard.

Best regards,
Panos
--

Return to “iOS Deployment”