Access to .xcodeproj file?

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

ValiantCuriosity

Access to .xcodeproj file?

Post by ValiantCuriosity » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:58 pm

Hello LiveCode Gurus,

I'm trying to get to know LiveCode for moble. I have been dabbling in iOS today. I find that LC generates an "app" file. Is there any way to get to the .xcodeproj file? I'd like to work within Xcode while testing projects. I found two references to using xcodeproj files, but the topics were both old (2015 and 2017 of last January) Neither made the "how to" clear.

Thank you in advance for any help you offer.

-Rachel
May I never be cured of my curiosity! :D

quailcreek

Re: Access to .xcodeproj file?

Post by quailcreek » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:18 am

I'm a little confused. What do you mean "work within xCode while testing projects"? You can work on your project in LC and test in the xCode simulator as you go.
Tom
MacBook Pro OS Mojave 10.14

ValiantCuriosity

Post by ValiantCuriosity » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:34 pm

Thank you for your reply. Sorry my question was confusing.

When I work with Cordova/JQMobile/ or Ionic, I can use the actual Xcode project files and open them in Xcode. As example, myProject.xcode could be an Xcode file that I can open directly in the Xcode IDE. I like to work within Xcode for my app uploading, cassette images, and some other settings.

AFAIKT, LC only allows us to compile an "App" file. I want to use the .xcodeproj file that is probably within the LC "App" that is generated. .xcodeproj is a file naming convention for Xcode. It is like .txt or other file extensions.

I've invested in LC, but never did get into using it. I'd like to use it. There are many things about LC that appeal to me, but right now, I'm pretty frustrated with all the broken tutorials and also not being able to use Xcode directly.

Thanks again for any help you can offer. I appreciate the friendly, helpful forum. I am going to keep trying for a while. -Rachel

quailcreek

Post by quailcreek » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:38 pm

Hi Rachel,
LC does not generate a .xcodeproj file. Cordova, JQMobile and Ionic are framework systems and they are different from LC. I can only speak for myself but I think most LC users are glad that they don't have to deal with xCode very much.

Which are the tutorials that are broken?

My suggestion would be to keep asking questions and searching the forum for answers.
Tom
MacBook Pro OS Mojave 10.14

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:02 am

She posted about the ones she found previously here and a post in this thread.

I remember working through quite a few of those myself back a bit, and they aren't always clear or easy to parse for a newcomer, although you can usually work it out you don't necessarily know what it is that needs to be worked out per se.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:10 pm

These aren't tutorials per se but they do explain the important concepts that all new users need to know:

http://www.hyperactivesw.com/revscriptc ... nces.html

They assume no previous knowledge and if you work through them in order you will have a good basic understanding of LC essentials, and may be able to work around any errors you run into in other tutorials. The stacks are old but the concepts are still valid.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

ValiantCuriosity

Post by ValiantCuriosity » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:40 am

Thank you for the link @Jacque. I'll check it out immediately.

Also, thank you to @quailcreek for clarifying the lack of ability to import the Xcode project file into Xcode. I actually like working in the Xcode IDE so I will miss that feature. It makes it easy to upload to the App store.

Still working away with LC. Found a great book that I've found so helpful. Also digging around in the Dictionary. Admittedly, I find it a little confusing, but I need to study how it works a lot more.

Anyway, thanks again to all of you for your generous support.

-Rachel

Return to “iOS Deployment”