Confused with xCode error profile not found

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jmburnod
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Confused with xCode error profile not found

Post by jmburnod » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi All,
I'm very confused in front of this situation :
I can compile my stack for ios without error.
I understand that signify that my certificates and provisioning profiles are actives.
It is correct ?
Profile menu of "standalone setting" display many not availables profiles. I choosed profil visible on my account in ios dev center
I get an error "A valid provisioning profile for this executable was not found. »
I use LC 8.1.6 and xCode 8.3.3
Thank you in advance for your lights
Jean-Marc
https://alternatic.ch

dave.kilroy

Re: Confused with xCode error profile not found

Post by dave.kilroy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi, it sounds like you have old provisioning profiles on your mac. I find that good 'hygiene' when it comes to provisioning profiles is important and I only keep up-to-date provisioning profiles on my system and regularly clean them out and get fresh ones

If you go to /users/<username>/Library/MobileDevice/Provisioning Profiles/ on your mac you can see where they hide out - try zapping them all and then downloading fresh ones via Xcode (don't go to the Developer Portal and download from there, better if you get Xcode to do it). If you do this "clean and refresh" routine you should no longer see multiple provisioning profiles where you expect to see one - and hopefully the one you choose will be correctly set up and you won't get that error message anymore

But of course there could be other things wonky that's the cause ... but up-to-date provisioning profiles is a good place to start

Good luck!

Dave
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

jmburnod

Post by jmburnod » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Thanks David,
Good luck!
I feel I will need a lot for next step with testFlight
I cleaned some files, created a new provisionning profile and i can compile and transfer my app.
You said about "clean and refresh". I dont see it.
I preference of xcode (8.3.3) i have a "download all profiles" and "manage certificates" btns.
Am I missing something ?
Best
Jean-Marc

dave.kilroy

Post by dave.kilroy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi Jean-Marc - hmm i think I haven't been understanding what you're trying to do - are you trying to upload to TestFlight or iTunes Connect? If yes then there are special things to check

If not then there are different things to check

But a good place to start in either case is to open Keychain Access, click to the 'My Certificates' bit (click the 'My Certificates' link in the left-hand panel) and check if you have any out-of-date certificates, if you do then zap them and if necessary get new ones via Xcode

Uploading to TestFlight or iTunes Connect
If you are wanting to upload to TestFlight or in general to upload to iTunesConnect then you'll need a distribution certificate and a distribution provisioning profile. If you don't have a distribution certificate you'll need to go to the developer portal and start the process off, make the 'request' file using Keychain Access (as per the instructions on the developer portal), generate the certificate on the developer portal, download it, double-click it, and finally, check in Keychain Access again to make sure it's now included in your 'My Certificates'. If you don't have a distribution provisioning profile you'll have to make it on the developer portal (make sure to link it to your distribution certificate and not your development certificate), then zap all your provisioning profiles (as in 'clean and refresh') and then get Xcode to manage your certificates and download your provisioning profiles. Then you can re-open LiveCode and do a new build with the new provisioning profile.

By the way, if you are uploading to TestFlight make sure to check the 'Beta' checkbox in the 'Standalone Applications Settings' dialog box.

One last thing before uploading to TestFlight or iTunesConnect - LiveCode creates .app files (for iOS), you need to process this into a .ipa file before uploading. It's actually quite easy to do this, but I won't go into it here so I'll suggest you purchase and download Jacque's excellent AirLaunch stack (costs about $50) as this will do the process for you...

Trying to build and deploy to your local iOS device

If you're still trying to get your app on your cable-connected iOS device and checking your certificates didn't help then please create a 'hello world' test app and see if you can get that building and deploying correctly to your device. If there's a problem, please provide some screenshots of the error messages and the 'hello-world' stack you're testing on

Regards

Dave
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

jmburnod

Post by jmburnod » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:42 pm

Hi Dave,
I don't know if you understand exactly what I want but your explanation is very useful for me. 8)
Thanks again
I wonder if I am the only one who get difficulties with this process.
For exemple, I don't understand why it is possible to create multiple provisioning profiles without warning if that is a source of problems.
Best regards
Jean-Marc

Return to “iOS Deployment”