iOS App always scales on retina display

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Airpig

iOS App always scales on retina display

Post by Airpig » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi,

I have generated different very simple apps with livecode for iOS - as Stack Size I used iPhone 6 plus.

When I start these apps on the iPhone simulator or on a real iPhone 7 plus - I can see that my iPhone is going into scaling mode - as if I would start an app that has only the resolution of an iPhone 5. (But it is generated with a stack for iPhone 6 plus.)

I get the application to scale right with

Code: Select all

set the fullscreenmode of me to "showAll"
in preOpenStack
(I have tried all other fullscreenmodes.)

But as I can see on the iPhone header (status bar) and the keyboard - it is a scaled environment. As the iPhone does this when you start a low resolution application.
It is the same result running in the iPhone simulator or on a real iPhone 7 plus.

the result of

Code: Select all

iphoneDeviceScale()
is 3

I took a look at all iPhone resolution specific command i could find ... nothing helps

I looked into every documentation and ask google all questions ... but I cannot find any documentation describing my problem.

I am sure it needs to be something very simple ... but I cannot find it.
(The other option - livecode has no native support for iPhone retina.)

I have tried this with
livecode Indy 9.0.0-dp-8 build 15010
livecode Indy 8.1.6 build 14032

Would be great if anyone can give me a short hint.

Thx
Eric

Klaus

Re: iOS App always scales on retina display

Post by Klaus » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:31 pm

Hi Eric,

1. welcome to the forum! :D
2. I don't develop for mobile, but can't you just:
set the fullscreen of this stack to FALSE
?

Best

Klaus

dave.kilroy
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by dave.kilroy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi Eric

You shouldn't need fullScreenMode to get your app to fill your device's screen (it's a convenience function/approach that some people like to use) - I'm not 100% sure if setting it to false will turn it off properly, probably better to set it to empty (or just comment it out in your code, by default I think it's empty)

I would have a look at what size images for your splash screens you are using, if these are missing or not the right size for a particular device (in iOS, Android is another matter) it can indeed mess up how your app will look. HINT: if you open the 'Standalone Application Settings' dialog box, go to the iOS tab and try to attach a wrongly-sized image for a splash screen you'll get a message that will include the correct size needed for that type of iOS device...

Kind regards

Dave
"...this is not the code you are looking for..."

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:46 pm

Can you post screenshots of what you see? This sounds like what I discussed in my LC Global talk but I need to know what the screen looks like. There are workarounds if you are seeing borders at the side edges.

The showAll fullscreenmode is the most common one for mobile but it requires some special treatment, especially if the original stack size is narrow like the iPhone 6 plus.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Airpig

Post by Airpig » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi All,

thx for your help

it was the splash screen - as I was just testing different things - splash screen was unimportant for me.

You need to take this to the documentation - Splash Screen is vital :-)

Thx again.

Greetings
Eric

quailcreek

Post by quailcreek » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:27 pm

I always develop my apps in the iPhone 5 screen size. That way it will scale up to match the larger sizes. Never had a problem.
Tom
MacBook Pro OS Mojave 10.14

quailcreek

Post by quailcreek » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:56 pm

Has anybody tested using splash screens with IOS 11.1 and Xcode 9.1? It doesn't seem to be working and with xCode going squirrley I'm only testing on my iPhone 6s. I'm running iOS 11.0.3 and maybe that's the problem. It's just that I'm reluctant to update to 11.1.2 at this point. I have seen the light and I'm developing my apps now on the 6s plus screen size. I attached the correct splash screen size but the scaling, at least on my device, does not occur. However, using fullScreenMode (execsFit) for both iPhone and android seems to work fine

Jacqueline,
Could you share some of the things you do to make showAll work better, xPlatform.

Thanks in advance.
Tom

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:18 pm

quailcreek wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:56 pm
Jacqueline,
Could you share some of the things you do to make showAll work better, xPlatform.
Primarily, I design for a narrow average screen ratio. Provide either a very wide background image or set the backcolor of the stack, or each card, to a color that compliments your stack design.

When showAll scales the stack, it will scale to the height of the screen and adjust the width to keep the original stack size ratio. If the screen width is smaller than your stack it will crop the side edges (which is why I design for narrow screens.) If the width is wider than your stack, the background color or the extra width of a background image will be drawn instead of black bars.

With this in mind, designate a "safe area" around the center of the stack where any screen width will display the content. Expect that the edges of your stack may not show as intended and don't put any important elements near the sides.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

quailcreek

Post by quailcreek » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:35 pm

Thank you Jacquline. Very informative.

I updated to iOS 11.1.2 and still the splash screen does not scale the to the screen size. Anybody else having different results?
Tom

Return to “iOS Deployment”